It’s 1:32 a.m. And I’m Writing This: A Quick (And Rare) Thank You Note to Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Dear Finals Week,

It’s the end of the week before finals and vacation is just around the corner. I’m at the home stretch, but you’re already getting on my nerves. I haven’t slept without worrying I’ve forgotten to do something, my to-do list gets longer by the minute and I’m lucky if I have time to brush my hair before I go to class. My socks don’t match, my laundry is piling up and I just need to return to home cooked meals and my soft queen sized bed already.

I need to study, but the library is jam packed with kids that won’t shut up. I have to trek across the campus tundra in search of that one empty table where I can sit and finally focus in silence.

Why do you have to be so mean? Why do you have to stress us all out? It’s like there is this superpower that you have that drives everyone crazy. I am acting like a lunatic, drowning myself in coffee, and I have an incurable urge to wear sweatpants and slippers to class every day. I’ve eaten cake for dinner too many times already and you aren’t even here yet.

But here is what I’ve concluded:

I know we will thank you one day. Definitely not today, next week, or even a month from now. We will still hate you a year into the future. But I know we will look back many years from now and want this time, or even this year back. We will miss the life we had before adulthood hit.

I know you make us better, stronger and even smarter sometimes. I know that complaining won’t help me do better on my exams this coming week; I just had to write this letter to thank you for making me better for my future. I know you get a bad reputation. With that in mind, I thought I’d turn the tables and thank you for everything you do. Thank you for making me suffer for one week every semester so that when I leave this place in a few years I’ll have something to show for it all.

Sincerely,

An overtired, overcaffeinated college student.

Hello, I'm Brooke! I am double majoring in English and Journalism at SUNY Oswego. I hope to find a career that feeds my passion for writing once I graduate in 2019. I strive to push others to rethink their perspectives on life through the words I write and share. I have a deep love for adventures, a great appreciation for poetry, and a constant desire for some strong coffee.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!