How to Create a Personalized Crying Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I have three or four playlists that I made explicitly to cry to. Crying is often something people hate doing, but I feel like it’s a necessary part of life to not bottle up your emotions. Here are some ways to create a perfect playlist personalized to you and some songs I think belong on everyone’s sad playlists: 

Step 1: Think of songs you’ve listened to in the past that impacted your life and how they make you feel. Songs that make you feel intense emotions, even if not entirely a sad emotion, are good. Songs from different movies or maybe television shows that made you cry are good too. 

Step 2: Make sure to add a song or two to the slower playlist but is more relaxing than sad. It helps to set the tone and gives you a break from intense feelings if you’re listening to the playlist on shuffle. 

Step 3: Remember, there is no right or wrong music to put on the playlist. This is customized to you, and it’s not meant for anyone else. Anything goes, even if there are songs that aren’t necessarily sad, but they trigger that emotion for you. Go ahead — this belongs to you and no one else. 

Step 4: Titling the playlist is essential in my book because I enjoy having aesthetic names for my playlists. You don’t have to do that; it can be titled whatever you want it to be because it’s yours. My only tip would be to make sure it’s something you recognize as the playlist you made for crying in case you need it. 

Those steps should  help you make  a pretty good playlist, and you can always go back and add or delete songs from your playlist once you use it more. Remember that it’s good to cry and that it can be a good way to deal with stress and anxieties, especially in the current state of our world. Dealing with emotions is becoming increasingly important, and it’s good to practice letting yourself feel things. 

My top 5 recommendations that could make anyone cry: 

1. Truce by Twenty One Pilots 

2. Even If It’s a Lie by Matt Maltese 

3. If I’m Being Honest by Dodie 

4. Hug All Ur Friends by Cavetown 

5. The Night We Met by Lord Huron

Graphic design and creative writing major.
Kailey is a Senior who double-majors in English and Adolescent Education. She has been a writer from the time she could hold a pencil and an aspiring teacher since 1st grade. She currently substitute teaches at a preschool and hopes to teach ELA and Creative Writing to high schoolers in the future. Kailey is an fervent reader, runner, and yogi who is happiest when laughing with loved ones or eating something full of sugar!