This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Emma

As the holiday season approaches us, one of my favorite Christmas treats to make for family and friends is the one and only, Peppermint Bark. Other than the magnificent melt-in-your-mouth sensation and minty fresh taste, the best thing about this dessert is that it only takes four ingredients and a little bit of love to make during the busy holiday season of shopping, finding the perfect tree, and making time to wrap all of Santa’s gifts. Head out to the closest Target, Walmart, Wegmans, etc. to get what you need to succeed, semi-sweet milk chocolate (or dark chocolate), white chocolate, some peppermint flavoring, and a pack of candy canes. If the candy canes are already crushed, the better because that will save you some time coming soon! First, melt your milk chocolate and white chocolate by microwave or stove on low heat. You may add the extra peppermint flavor into one of the melted chocolates, only a drop or two. Then, line a pan with parchment paper, laying the milk chocolate evenly across the pan, then covering it with a layer of melted white chocolate. Here comes the fun part. Place your candy canes in a bag, and CRUSH! You can then sprinkle these broken candy canes on top of your white chocolate layer. Once the chocolate layers have hardened, cut with a sharp knife, and enjoy! A pro-tip: add some salty pretzels into the mix to quench that sweet and salty craving. Trust me, take the minutes to make this scrumptious bark, even the little kiddos can help!

Allyson

One of my favorite things to make are little Hershey Kiss treats! They are easy to make and come together in minutes, making them perfect if you need to take something to an event last minute, or are just looking for a holiday snack. All you need are square pretzels, Hershey Kisses, and M&M’s. The red and green holiday M&M’s are perfect for making them festive! Place the pretzels flat on a baking sheet without any of them overlapping, then unwrap the Kisses and put one on each pretzel. Put them in the oven for a minute or two, just long enough for the tops of the Kisses to start to melt. Keep an eye on them so they do not melt too much! Then, take them out of the oven and press an M&M into each one. Let them cool before storing them in an airtight container, or just pop them in your mouth and enjoy!