Five Books That Can Help You Understand Life and Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

1. “The Alchemist” is an inspiring story about a young man that follows his dreams no matter the struggles that might be in his path. Having the courage to follow your dreams and not giving up no matter what may occur is the key to achieving your goals.

Memorable quote: “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”

2. “The Secret” written by Rhonda Byrne is a story about how to attract the things you want, simply by thinking about them. The novel’s central message is if you maintain a positive mindset, good things will occur more in your life. Learning to become more optimistic and attracting positive vibes by the way you think and the people you surround yourself with can change your life for the better.

Memorable quote: “Whenever you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.”

3. “You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life” by Jen Sincero discusses how to finally become the person you always wanted to be. The novel emphasizes the necessity of letting go of fear of failure and realizing that not all things may go as planned, and everything happens for a reason. The moment when you start taking risks is when you’ll finally begin to live the life you always wanted.

Memorable quote: “Maybe, if you put your disbelief aside, roll up your sleeves, take some risks, and totally go for it, you’ll wake up one day and realize you’re living the kind of life you used to be jealous of.”

4. “The Artist’s Way,” written by Julia Cameron, embarks on the journey of discovering one’s creative process. Opening your mind to new possibilities and challenging yourself to do things you thought you would never do is the central theme of this piece.

Memorable quote: “In times of pain, when the future is too terrifying to contemplate and the past too painful to remember, I have learned to pay attention to right now. The precise moment I was in was always the only safe place for me.”

5.  The classic children’s novel, “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein shows the significance of loving unconditionally and the importance of giving. Silverstein’s message, for people of all ages, is that everyone can understand the relationship between a parent and a child. Love is the key to eternal happiness, whether it’s with yourself or another individual.

Memorable quote: “… and she loved a boy very, very much– even more than she loved herself.”

My name is Yaritza Sencion and I am sophomore in SUNY Oswego majoring in Cinema and Screens Studies and Theatre with a minor in Arts management. I enjoy writing film reviews and film news but I like to concentrate on Hollywoods lack of women and diversity within the industry.
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.