This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Typically, I enjoy poetry books. I may find them a bit underwhelming at times, but generally they’re quick reads that effectively get the thoughts and moods of the author across. They usually don’t have a very strong effect on me, which is mostly due to the fact that they are short-form stories. It’s difficult to become attached to a real person’s thoughts and emotions, especially when they are written in a one or two page format with little backstory provided. With all of that being said, I am still thinking about Richard Siken’s Crush days after setting the book down.

Crush is a beautiful poetry book, primarily focusing on the sense of panic or dread laced with queer longing. It’s more on the direct end, only relying on metaphors but painting a very clear picture in your mind as to what Siken is feeling personally. Something I really enjoyed about this book is that Siken’s poems are on the longer side, with each one being two to three pages, sometimes even more. It made it easier for me to become engaged with what was being said and form a firmer opinion of the writing style itself.

I think my favorite poem out of the entire book was “Wishbone.” Something about the urgency, the sense of longing for something that will never come to be, and the internal struggle of wanting to demand more but not being willing to fight for it really struck a chord with me. “Wishbone” was really wonderfully written, and I think I may revisit it soon. Although a shorter read (and thus a shorter review), I really enjoyed Siken’s Crush. His collection of poetry blended really well together and gave the reader this sense of underlying panic that was difficult to shake, making it a very impactful read. I really enjoyed getting through it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a shorter but still meaningful read.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.