10 Songs to Add to Your Workout Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but music is absolutely essential for me when it comes to working out. If I’m not listening to songs that pump me up, there’s no way I’m going to get through my workout, especially when I’m already miserable about being at the gym to begin with. If you’re in need of some new songs to add to your workout playlist, check out 10 of my favorites.

1.“Dang!” by Mac Miller feat. Anderson .Paak

I’m a huge fan of both Mac Miller and Anderson .Paak, so these two talented artists combined on one song is a match made in heaven. This song is super funky and upbeat, and it’s one of my favorites to blast when I’m on the treadmill or elliptical.

2.“Work Out” by J. Cole

This song is a J. Cole classic. Between the catchy melodies and rhymes, “Work Out” could potentially make you forget how much you hate leg day.

3.“Wishing it was you” by K.flay

If you’re not into rap, this indie meets electronic jam is perfect for you. What starts out as a slow, sad song eventually turns euphoric and super upbeat, making it perfect for cardio exercises.

4.“Slide” by Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean & Migos

If you haven’t already heard this song … then where have you been?!

5.“No Fear” by DeJ Loaf

The combination of cheerful lyrics and catchy harmonies is what makes this love song ideal for blasting at the gym. As a person that hates every second of running, “No Fear” makes me despise the treadmill just a tiny bit less.

6.“Sober” by Lorde

As it is, Lorde’s Melodrama album is completely iconic, but “Sober” is one of those songs that feels absolutely timeless. Lorde’s eerie yet gorgeous voice floats atop a mix of funky beats and trumpets, making this song nearly flawless.

7.“Submission” by Gorillaz feat. Danny Brown & Kelela

If you didn’t get Gorillaz comeback album, I really don’t know what you’re doing with your life (this is mainly a joke, but really — give this record a listen). Anyways, Gorillaz did an amazing job of combining aspects of alternative, R&B, and rap to make this masterpiece of a song.

8.“Wait” by NoMBe

This indie jam starts off slow, but don’t be fooled; the chorus is perhaps one of the catchiest beats I’ve ever heard. “Wait” makes me feel 100% invincible, and it’s perfect for the days I happen to feel confident enough to head over to the weight room.

9.“Love$ick” by Mura Masa feat. A$AP Rocky

If you’re looking for the ideal mix of rap and electronic, give this song a listen. You can thank me later.

10.“Girls @” by Joey Purp feat. Chance the Rapper

I’ll end off this list with one of my all time favorite songs to listen to at the gym. Believe me when I say “Girls @” makes cardio so much less painful.

Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!