galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
Wellness

Why You Don’t Need a Partner to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which means all our socials will be full of countless romantic photos and cheesy captions. For some of us, it’s heartwarming. For others, it’s yet another reminder that we don’t have a partner to spend the holiday with.  

With all the couple-appreciation posts, flashy pictures of flowers and huge candy displays at stores, it’s easy to get lost in the real meaning of this holiday. Valentine’s Day isn’t about proving to the world you have a significant other; it’s about love!

Love is often associated with something that is shared between two people in a relationship. It’s described as what bonds partners, though that’s not all love entails. Love can be platonic between best friends, family members who cherish each other’s company and even be between you and your favorite character on TV. 

But above all of those forms of love is self-love.

Though often overlooked, self-love is the most strong and important kind of bond because no matter what happens in life, you will always have yourself. Many of us tend to assume you need a significant other in your life in order to be loved, but Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to dedicate some time to show yourself some appreciation!

So how do you celebrate Valentine’s Day alone? That’s easy – show yourself that you care. Cook yourself a nice meal, buy yourself your favorite flowers, do your nails while you watch your favorite rom-com, run a bath or read a good book. Take some time for yourself and do all of your favorite things alone. 

And if you’ve been itching for a romantic night out, treat yourself this V-Day! Take yourself out to a nice dinner, buy yourself flowers and chocolates, dress up and remember that there is nothing wrong with doing “couple” things alone – in fact, it can be empowering.  

Spending Valentine’s alone also allows you to set the standards for what you want in a relationship. After treating myself last year, I realized that I appreciate staying in on Valentine’s Day and that’s what my ideal V-Day would look like with a partner. For others, treating yourself to a nice meal might help set the bar for future dates so you know what you’re looking for.

We often are so caught up in things like work, school and friendships that we struggle to put aside time for ourselves and appreciate time alone. But engaging in activities as small as a self-care night or running errands by yourself will make you feel confident in your ability to entertain yourself without any extra company. 

Even after Valentine’s Day, it’s important to maintain self-love habits. Once you start showing yourself you care and start appreciating yourself, you will attract love. The strongest relationships can only grow from a strong sense of self-love and independence. 

Lizzie is a fourth-year student at The Ohio State University, where she studies English on a pre-education route with a minor in Professional Writing. She has written for various publications, including The Lantern and Columbus Jewish News. She currently works as a Professional Writing Intern at The Ohio State University Airport, where she composes articles and social media content. When she's not writing, Lizzie loves shopping, listening to music, going on walks, spending time with friends and reading.