Undecided And Out Of Time? Find the College Path Right For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Since I was a freshman in high school, I had ambitious plans to pursue a career in the medical field. To me, being a doctor would give me a prestigious status along with a pretty steady income. I also generally enjoyed science classes, and thought I was good at them.

But boy was I wrong! Not only am I terrible at organic chemistry, but I also realized I was not enjoying any of my pre-medical classes.

My stress about applying to medical school only grew as I was trying to maintain an above-average GPA along with internships and volunteers hours. I was finally able to let go of my dreams of being a doctor when I took a hard and long look at myself and my happiness. 

If you’re also struggling with finding a major or possible career path the first thing to do is to let go! Let go of your previous assumptions about what path would be best for you! This will allow you to make the most genuine and educated decision towards finding your happiness and career.

Next, look at your personal characteristics and strong attributes. What are you good at? What do you enjoy? I realized I had a passion for service, medicine, sociology and women’s rights. Add those up and I found myself with a public health major and a women’s studies minor!

And most importantly, accept the fact that being in college for more than the usual four years is perfectly okay! Many different types of students take five plus years of schooling due to many different reasons, such as completing two majors, finishing a graduate program, studying abroad or even failing a class!

Statistics from “Best Value Schools” show while in high school, 80% of students have yet to choose a major, 50% of college students change their major during college, and 40% of students who start a four-year program still have not earned a degree after six years. Clearly it is very common for students to be unsure of what they want to do for the rest of their lives, and this process should not be pushed or open to judgment.

I personally think more than four years of college allows for exposure to a wider variety of classes and experiences. Students should be encouraged to explore electives that fall outside of common GE courses, take time off for foreign study and even get a part-time job! More time to complete courses leads to less stress, greater interest in said courses and therefore better grades! I strongly advise to give yourself enough time and credit to declare the major right for you!

“These are the best four years of your life” they say. Yes, college is full of fraternity parties, football games, and late night sushi runs, but there’s a lot more to it. These are the first years where you are truly independent. And by that I mean washing your own clothes and figuring out how to use the bus system. You also must manage your course schedule accordingly to fit into other extracurricular activities, such as sports, Greek life, students organizations, etc.

But most importantly, it’s where you discover what you want to be and who you want to be. Sounds pretty overwhelming right? That’s because it is! And therefore this decision shouldn’t be rushed. And if it takes an extra year to find something you are passionate about then who is to judge!

And finally, remember that we all find success and happiness on our own paths, at our own speed, and in our own ways. 

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets!