This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s been another long year, and we are soon reaching the day that many single people loathe: Valentine’s Day. The day filled with red and pink hearts, chocolate assortments, flowers, giant teddy bears and everything cutesy for the love-birds of the world.

But what about us singles over here?

Twitter
Being single on Valentine’s Day feels like an Olympic sport. We do everything in our power to avoid the constant affection shown by couples — running far away from the Valentine’s Day section of the grocery store, turning off all social media to avoid the mushy couple posts and distracting ourselves from the loneliness that being single can sometimes bring.

It’s a great time of year, right?

The icing on the cake for single people is having your parents or friends give you chocolates and flowers on the morning of Feb. 14. There is no better feeling than realizing you can’t get a date, and your parents are filling that lonely spot for the day. I especially love hearing about the extravagant gifts my friends receive from their significant others, unintentionally rubbing in my face the pros of being taken in February.

What’s not to love about being the only single friend? Maybe they’ll have some extra chocolate or candy we can steal so our parents aren’t our only Valentines!

Despite the slight embarrassment of receiving chocolate from your parents or your taken friends, enjoy every piece you can get. Stuffing your face with chocolates might be the defining activity of being single on Valentine’s Day — on top of watching sappy rom-coms all day and night. What would Valentine’s Day be without a romantic comedy marathon? Crying over fake movie relationships you wish you had has got to be one of the greatest coping mechanisms of all time.

Maybe that’s just me…

In all seriousness, being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t all that bad. Being your independent, strong self goes a long way. Embrace your single self and reach out to those you love, because this “day of love” extends beyond romantic relationships. Instead of using the day to feel exclusively self-pity, Valentine’s Day can be 24 hours of spreading love and appreciation to those people in your life that you love unconditionally.

On that note, you should eat all the chocolate and watch all the rom-coms in the world. Valentine’s Day is still your day, single people!

OSU 2024 Strategic Communication major