brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Meet Sam, Wellness Blogger And Content Creator “The Healthful Hippie”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Her Campus OSU loves getting to know more about the amazing women at our university pursuing their passions and empowering others.

This week, we had the chance to chat with Sam Doyle, a third-year in strategic communication from Cleveland, otherwise known as “The Healthful Hippie”, an emerging health and wellness content creator and blogger, and aspiring nutritionist.  

Sam launched her wellness Instagram @thehealthfulhippie last summer while going through yoga teacher training because she wanted a platform to share her journey towards living a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and connect with others passionate about wellness.

Sam Doyle, The Healthful Hippie/Photo creds: Sam Doyle

Then, she launched her blog, with the same memorable name, to further her platform and share more content. She calls her blog a “work in progress”, but we’re already loving it at Her Campus OSU.  Although Sam uses her platform to share many healthy (and delicious) recipe ideas, she also wants to promote the versatility in living a healthy lifestyle and the power of appreciating imperfection to other young women.

Sam practicing yoga, “her greatest form of release”/Photo creds: Sam Doyle

Want to know more? Read on for our Q&A with The Healthful Hippie:

Question: Why did you start this platform? What is the inspiration behind it? 

Sam: I created this platform to share my love for plant-based cooking and living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. I am endlessly inspired by the idea of healing the body with food. I know that I want to be a nutritionist, so this platform is truly just a way for me to channel my passion for all things wellness before getting fully into the field.

Q: How would you describe your personal diet? 

Plant-based. I don’t like to concretely label myself as vegan anymore because I’m a firm believer in intuitive eating and listening to what my body is craving in the moment. If I’m craving eggs or wild caught salmon, I eat it! However, 99% of the time, I follow a whole food, plant-based diet.

Q: In addition to recipe ideas, what else do you hope to share with your platform? 

With this platform, I hope to share so much more than just healthy recipe ideas. In creating this platform, I wanted to highlight the fact that I am in no way perfect. I am still learning, just like everyone else. As young women so heavily influenced by the media, it’s easy to fall into the pressure to be perfect and look perfect. We are constantly bombarded with information about what we should or shouldn’t be doing in regards to health. New diets, weight-loss regimes or cleanses to give us the perfect figure. My goal is to empower young women and all my peers to quit listening to all of that. Our bodies know what is right for us, and every single body is so incredibly different! There is no universal workout regime or diet for optimal health. It’s all about tuning in and doing what feels right for you.

Q: Is it challenging to maintain such a healthy lifestyle as a college student? 

I believe that wellness transcends far beyond the realm of diet. Living a healthy lifestyle is also about watering your relationships, letting your hair down, and having fun without feeling guilty. Yes, I love to be my healthiest self. I love to wake up at 7:00 a.m., go to yoga, drink green spirulina smoothies, and be a productive human. But I also love to drink wine and laugh with my friends. It’s all about finding balance and a sense of humility.

Q: What advice do you have for other college students who want to start living healthier and cleaner? 

My advice to college students who want to live healthier and cleaner is first and foremost to not beat yourself up. Recognize that you are a college student, you’re allowed to eat pizza! I like to recommend the 80/20 rule to people who are interested in changing their diet. 80% of the time is for health, 20% of the time is for livin’ your best life. Also, start with breakfast…do not skip it! Begin your day with something nourishing like a smoothie packed with leafy greens and hydrating fruit. That way, if you’re going to splurge later, you’ll at least know that you got some nutrients in!

Q: What advice do you have for those worried about the cost of healthy eating? 

I personally think it’s a myth that eating healthy is outrageously expensive. I find that I save so much money by limiting going out to eat and cooking a majority of my food at home. Fruits and vegetables are some of the cheapest items at the store! Going to the grocery store with a set list of items that I need for simple meals throughout the week saves me so much money. Plan ahead, pay attention to sales, and find some quick, easy staple meals that you know you like.

Health food inspiration posts from Sam’s Insta. Follow her to learn the recipes./Photo creds: Sam Doyle

If you think she’s as cool as we do, Sam told us she loves interacting with followers via her social media. If you’re inspired by her mission or want to chat with her about healthful living, don’t be afraid to reach out.

Aspiring writer.