How to Spend Valentine’s Day as a Single Gal at Ohio State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is all about love, sweets and all things pink. It can be a lonely day, though, if you’re single or, even worse, freshly heartbroken. I know this feeling all too well, but when reflecting on what Valentine’s Day means to me this year, I realized it doesn’t have to be all about romantic love; Valentine’s can be a day to appreciate the love you have in your life through your friends and family! And who doesn’t love an excuse to wear pink, decorate your apartment with hearts and give yourself a lil’ extra self-love and care? I promised myself this year that instead of being sad over a guy, I would prioritize showing my love and appreciation for my amazing circle of people and making the day special for myself.

Being at Ohio State allows me to do so much with my day, and as a single woman, I am definitely going to be taking advantage of Columbus this Valentine’s. Here’s what I’m going to be up to this Feb. 14, and if you go to OSU and want to give yourself some extra self-care for Valentine’s, you should follow this guide, too!

1. Journal about your gratitude

I’ve found that journaling in the morning has really changed my life and set my days up in a more positive way. Waking up and using your fresh mind to write out your thoughts, things you’re grateful for and whatever else is on your mind is such a great way to start and end your day. It creates a positive space for your mind to wander and allows you to be thankful for everything in your life. On Valentine’s Day, especially if you’re down about the guy who broke your heart, waking up and letting your mind run free is an exhilarating feeling that is truly unbeatable. Some prompts that have opened my perspective on life are: 

“What are you grateful for today?”

“What’s something that made you smile today/yesterday?”

“What are you looking forward to today?”

“Who has inspired you recently?”

“If you could tell your younger self just one thing, what would it be?”

2. Focus on self-care

Skincare is not just a basic hygienic practice we should all follow, but it’s truly a form of self-care and relaxation. Waking up, journaling and spending a few minutes waking up your skin and prepping it for the day is the best feeling in the world. Nothing beats feeling squeaky clean and smelling fresh! Valentine’s Day is different from any other day, though. Instead of just following your usual skincare routine, I want you to either do a face mask, steam your face (you can do this easily by boiling water and letting the steam open up your pores) or use a hot eye mask to allow you to relax. Today is about taking care of yourself and showing love to your mind, soul and body — don’t let a broken heart stop you from loving yourself! I promise that doing this will enhance your mood, no doubt.

3. Dress up!

Sometimes we don’t realize how much of an impact dressing up has on us. On Valentine’s Day, I will definitely be blow-drying my hair, putting some makeup on for the day and wearing an outfit that I love! Whatever you love yourself in, wear that, whether that’s an athletic matching set (that’s what I’ll be in) or a skirt and sweater. Valentine’s is about feeling loved and confident, so do what’s best for you. You could even set up a hair appointment to get a fresh haircut and style for the day — why not take it up a notch this year? Penzone in German Village looks like a luxurious spot to get a new hairdo!

4. Listen to “SOS” by SZA

This album speaks for itself. IMO, It’s one of the best albums to ever exist. Not only is it such an outstanding album, but it will 100% heal you in any way you need. If you’re a heartbroken girlie, this album is waiting for you to play it!

5. Workout at the RPAC

If you’re a student, you should definitely take advantage of the RPAC on Valentine’s. Not only can you go to a group fitness class or work out on your own, but you can — and should — use the sauna to have some real self-care time! Go with your bestie, work out, use the sauna and get a smoothie from Juice 2 afterward!

6. Order in or GO get your favorite food

I know I’ll be ordering food to my home from my favorite restaurant in Columbus, which is sushi from The 1126 Restaurant. If you love sushi like me, you have to try this restaurant, and I think having it on Valentine’s Day is a real treat. They even have a roll called the “sweet heart roll” which not only tastes delicious but is also shaped like a heart, which I’m absolutely obsessed with and need for Valentine’s Day. You could always go to the restaurant with friends to make the most of your day and get their lychee martini to have some extra fun; this would be the perfect Galentine’s celebration! Other Columbus staples are Sicilias, Barrio and Dave’s Cosmic Subs.

7. Hot Yoga

Even if you’ve already done your workout for the day, finishing with a relaxing hot yoga class is the best feeling. It allows both your mind and body to relax since you can channel your energy into the class. Sweat out any negativity, calm your mind and set intentions for the days and weeks ahead. My favorite class in Columbus is at Rewild Yoga — it’s the crème de la crème and a great place to reset your mind and body!

8. Watch a rom-com while baking your favorite dessert

What’s Valentine’s Day without watching your favorite rom-com? Turn on your all-time favorite rom-com, bake some cinnamon rolls (or any of your favorite comfort desserts) and relax. This is the best way to end Valentine’s Day and make the most of your day. You could even go to the theaters to watch my latest movie obsession, “Anyone But You.” Enjoy your Valentine’s Day — you deserve it!

Katriel Orlean is an intern for the National Writing Program at Her Campus as well as the Instagram and Facebook editor at her Her Campus's Ohio State University chapter. She creates graphics for her chapter's Instagram and Facebook, posts new articles on both social medias, and helps to recruit members through Instagram. During her time as a writer for the NWP, she writes evergreen articles as well as articles that are news based. She writes about five to six articles per month for this program. Beyond Her Campus, Katriel is an intern for Spoon University where she writes 8-10 articles per month. These articles are sometimes evergreen but mostly they are based on timely news in the food world. She is currently a senior at The Ohio State University, majoring in Communications Analysis & Engagement. In her free time, Katriel loves to travel, workout, play tennis and pickle ball, and hang out with family and friends. She is a buckeye through and through and loves to exude all of her school spirit at the Ohio State football games. She loves to write, especially for HC!