Campus Celebrities: The 2018 OSU Homecoming Court

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Homecoming season has arrived and that means it’s time to feature our Homecoming Court. There were ten men and ten women who were chosen to represent The Ohio State University this year. Let’s meet the royal five of ten men and royal four of ten women. Nominees Karsen Kaple and Miranda Koewler were ultimately named King and Queen at the game this Saturday! 

Queen Court

Wenjing Deng

Major: Electrical Engineering

Hometown: Toronto, Ontario

Favorite Food: Swedish Meatballs from Ikea

Reason(s) you love OSU: School spirit, friendships and crazy memories

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: SPS lounge

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? Engineering Ambassadors, Ohio State Varsity Synchronized Swimming Team, Presidential Host, Secretary of Texnikoi Engineering Honorary, Wolstein Leadership Academy

What does it mean to be a buckeye? Being a Buckeye means that you have a good excuse to yell two letters at strangers on the street. And if they yell back, you know they are part of the family. Before moving to Columbus from Canada, I knew very little about Ohio State. I was thoroughly prepared to face the challenges of living in an unfamiliar place. But, when I arrived, I was amazed by the unconditional support I received from my teammates, my peers, my teachers and everyone around me. I am truly thankful to be a part of the Buckeye family. O-H!

Danielle Diersing

Major: Marketing and Operations Management

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Favorite Food: Hummus and Cucumbers 

Reason(s) you love OSU: I love OSU because of the people, the traditions, and the opportunities to grow. There is so much to do all of the time but no matter what you choose to do, you know it is going to be an amazing experience. I have met the most interesting and talented people through my time here. Getting to be a Buckeye is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am so glad to have made the most of my experience. 

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: Not really a hidden gem but everything about Knowlton Hall! Everyone there is SO talented! 

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? Ohio Union Activities Board, Ohio Union Event Planning Assistant 

What does it mean to be a buckeye? The Buckeye experience is different for every student. But to me, being a Buckeye is enjoying the small things on the big campus. It’s meeting your first friend, your first football game, first day of warm weather after a long winter, late night Buckeye Donuts after studying for exams, or finding an organization that fits your passion. It’s realizing that all of these moments wouldn’t be possible without the other thousands of Buckeyes that surround you every day. And that is what is special to me, being a Buckeye is encouraging others to find their place while also finding yours.

Deborah Makari

Major: History

Hometown: Olmsted Falls, Ohio

Favorite Food: Macaroni and cheese (with hot sauce)

Reason(s) you love OSU: There are so many opportunities to engage with other students, learn from guest speakers, and interact with campus and the community. I love the Buckeye spirit and the excitement that comes with being on a campus with so much passion.

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: My mission for senior year is to see so much of campus that I have yet to even explore, so hopefully I find this hidden gem!

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus: Allies for Diversity (President), MUNDO, OUAB (Visual and Fine Arts Committee), University Exploration Peer Mentor, Department of Sociology Student Research Assistant, Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society

What does it mean to be a buckeye? To be a Buckeye means to be someone who is passionate about what they are studying, committed to the organizations they are a part of, and excited to cheer for the sports teams Ohio State is known for. Being a Buckeye means taking advantage of the countless opportunities Ohio State has to offer, growing in one’s understanding of people and the world, and engaging in dialogue in the classroom and with friends on issues that impact our society. Being a Buckeye means creating experiences that begin to shape who we are as we take steps towards our futures!

Abby Motter

Major: Agriscience Education

Hometown: Mansfield, Ohio

Favorite Food: Steak

Reason(s) you love OSU: It’s a Buckeye Family and the opportunities are endless!

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: The College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dairy Cattle Farm

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? Agricultural Education Society, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences Ambassador, Edward S. Beanie Drake Endowment Fund Board of Directors, Ohio Staters, Incorporated, Ohio State Education Abroad service-learning trips

What does it mean to be a buckeye? To be a Buckeye means encouraging those around you to discover their potential and passions. It also means being challenged by peers and adopting new perspectives. Not to mention cheering on your favorite Buckeye team, and forgetting Michigan is a part of the United States!

King Court

Andrew Benvenuto

Major: Neuroscience

Hometown: Morristown, NJ

Favorite Food: My mom’s Chicken Parmesan

Reason(s) you love OSU: I love Ohio State for so many reasons, but the ones that stand out the most for me are the vibrant school spirit, the endless opportunities available for students, and the university’s involvement with the greater Columbus community. 

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: The Geology Library

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? Neuroscience Ophthalmology Medical Internship Director, Neuroscience Ambassadors, Buck-I-SERV, BuckeyeThon, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Mentor-a-Buckeye 

What does it mean to be a buckeye? Buckeyes are passionate, supportive, and service-oriented. When I joined this diverse community three years ago, the school spirit was palpable and campus quickly began to feel like home. Being surrounded by people who share a drive to do good in the world is nothing short of inspiring, and it pushes me to be my best self every day. It is an honor and privilege to be a Buckeye, a member of a family of individuals from all walks of life united by scarlet and gray.

Kartik Dhinakaran

Major: Industrial & Systems Engineering

Hometown: Westlake, OH

Favorite Food: Pizza, preferably Sicilia’s after a night out 

Reason(s) you love OSU: Cool people, fun times, amazing campus 

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: 50 cent coffee refills at Rohr Cafe in Fisher. I average 7 or 8 cups of coffee a day so it’s clutch

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus?: The Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) Fraternity, Buckeye Undergraduate Consulting Club, Eminence Fellows

What does it mean to be a buckeye?: Winning on Saturdays, being a part of the Buckeye Family, always striving to be the best Buckeye you can be.

Sachin Hejeebu

Major: International Relations & Diplomacy / Pre-Professional Dental 

Hometown: Toledo, OH 

Favorite Food: Thai Food 

Reason(s) you love OSU: There are way too many reasons why I love OSU! From the spirit to the friendship, to the emphasis on learning, Ohio State is a second home, and that’s why I love it. 

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: The top floor of CBEC is truly perfect for studying

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? I work as an RA in Residence Life, Student-Alumni Council, UHA Columbus, Health Sciences Scholars

What does it mean to be a buckeye?: After graduating from a high school class of 52, being a Buckeye is more than just being a student at Ohio State, it is a characterization of home. It is the bond and the emotion that reminds us truly “how firm thy friendship”, the support that we all share no matter our background, and the unending feeling of belonging. It is more than staying for Carmen after every football game – it is being a Buckeye for life, and remembering all that our university gave to us so that one day, we can give back to it.

Callum Henderson

Majors: Actuarial Science, Economics

Hometown: Marlborough, CT

Favorite Food: Fried Chicken

Reasons I love OSU: The endless opportunities the university provides and the Buckeye spirit.

Favorite hidden gem: Fine Arts Library

Involvement: Buckeye Leadership Fellows, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Mount Leadership Society

What does it mean to be a Buckeye: Being a Buckeye means that you are a part of a strong community that will support you in all of your endeavors. Buckeye Nation is spread throughout the world, and will do whatever they can to assist other alumni and students on their journeys. The relationships that are built at the university last a lifetime and give us a group of people that will push us to be the best that we can be.

Kushagra Mahaseth

Major: Economics and Political Science 

Hometown: Upper Arlington, OH

Favorite Food: Any sandwich from Melt  

Reason(s) you love OSU:  It is the people here that make the Ohio State University so special for me. The Buckeyes are there for you through thick and thin. My college experience would have have been the same had it not been for the people I have met here. The friendship, mentorship, and support that I have received from students, professors, and staff are the reasons that I love OSU.  

Favorite Hidden gem in OSU: The Library in Orton Hall (not sure how hidden it is).

Other organizations/activities that you’re involved with on campus? Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI), Undergraduate Economics Journal, Omicron Delta Epsilon International Economics Honor Society. 

What does it mean to be a buckeye? For me, being a Buckeye means being part of the larger Ohio State community. It signifies forging the bonds of friendship with fellow Buckeyes and opening yourself up to experiences that will shape you as an individual for years to come and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Hello, I am a left-handed Columbus Native attending The Ohio State University and majoring in Journalism. When I am not being scholarly I am in bed reading a book from B&N Top 100 list. My favorite author is Chimamanda Adiche who wrote "Americanah" You can catch me at a local restaurant enjoying soft tacos or spending time with my family sometimes doing both at the same time.