8 Things To Occupy Saturdays Without Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Arguably the worst part of spring semester is the lack of football. Sure, basketball at Ohio State is thriving, and the men’s volleyball team is out to defend their national title, but there is nothing better than standing in the ‘Shoe, cheering on the Buckeyes. Saturdays are empty, so what’s there to do? Here’s a list of the best things to occupy your football-less weekends at OSU.

1. Cry

Let’s be honest: Saturdays without football are really sad. No Block, no red lipstick, no screaming yourself hoarse, no sunburned Block O on your cheek and no “Carmen” after a big win. It’s okay to be sad and reminisce on the good times. It just shows your love for the Buckeyes.

2. Actually do your homework

Football weekends are crazy. They’re so crazy, in fact, that you had to half-heartedly finish your homework on Sunday just to get it done. Now that Saturday is completely open, there’s no excuse. 

3. Convert oxygen to carbon dioxide

This incredibly useful habit takes up every moment of the day, and it’s good for the environment. There’s no avoiding it, so give it your all in your newfound free time.

4. Consider supporting another sport

Here at Ohio State, football is the sport that everyone worships, but did you know that our great university actually has 37 varsity sports? That means that outside of football, you have 36 sports you can support. We hear that hockey games are super fun and have free merch. P.S. they’re playing TTUN in the Schott Friday. 

5. Re-watch “Friends”

“Friends” is an iconic show that is funny no matter what, even if you’re watching it for the 47th time through. The theme song will never get annoying, and your roommate can get over it.

6. Call your mother

You know who still wants some of your time? Your mother. She probably misses you, and now that your weekends are much more available than last semester, you should give her a call. She’ll be thrilled.

7. Start a Snapchat streak with every single one of your contacts

You have nothing to put on your snap story now, so to fill the void, it may be worthwhile to bombard your entire contact list with a simple black screen with one white word: streaks.

8. Vigorously research Ohio State’s recruiting activities and chip away at your “Countdown Until Kickoff” calendar

If football still continues to tug at your heartstrings, then lucky for you – it never stops. Urban Meyer and his staff are always looking for the next best talent across the country for the coming seasons. And don’t forget, the spring game is just a few months away!

Hey! I'm Sam, a journalism major from OSU.