Style > Beauty

5 Time-Tested Tips To Fight Winter Skin Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Winter in Ohio is as unreliable as it gets. Walking out the door bundled up for your first class and sweating by noon is not uncommon, especially during second semester. With the volatile temperatures, your skin may not know how to react. Here’s a list of five key tips to keep your face fresh and bright until May!

1. Exfoliate, then moisturize every day. Before moisturizing, you want to make sure to slough off any dead skin with a gentle exfoliator. The best way to do this is by using a slightly abrasive scrub, like Soap and Glory’s Vitamin C Facial Wash. Follow this up with a richer moisturizer to nourish the “new” skin. Doing this a few times a week will help quell the flakiness, and starting with a Vitamin C scrub can also brighten the tone. Speaking of dull skin…               

2. Illuminate your skin. I tend to focus on combating the dryness of my skin during this time of the year because it’s an extreme change from the typical. Usually I have to see an actual photo of myself before I notice how lifeless and drab my skin really looks in the winter. To brighten up your complexion, try using a Vitamin C serum in the morning to wake the skin up. Vitamin C is known to even the tone and decrease the appearance of acne scars and hyperpigmentation.      

3. Limit the hot water.  A hot shower sounds ideal in frigid temperatures, but it can do more harm than good. A long, steamy session can strip the skin of natural oil, leading to more dryness. Limiting the duration and temperature can help maintain the natural oil balance.

4. Keep drinking water!  This one’s a classic, and you certainly know it by now. Drink your water! If you don’t already, start! The benefits of staying hydrated are innumerable, and oftentimes, the quality of your skin is a product of your internal state.     

5. Use scarves! While the above tips can help the skin on a chemical level, one of the most important things to remember is guarding your face physically during these months. It’s always a good idea to use a scarf as a shield to the harsh wind and cold, or bury your face in the hood of a coat.

The most vital tip in all of skincare is consistency! Guzzling a bottle of water after an icy shower won’t earn any instant results. Rather, it’s the daily habits that have the most impact on long term skin health.