The 17 Steps to Getting Tickets at the Ohio Union

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

One of the best parts of being a student at OSU is having organizations like OUAB and D-Tix bring us free or cheap concert and event tickets. One of the worst parts, however, is waiting in line for those same tickets. The only way to guarantee the tickets will be yours is to arrive hours before the “official line” starts and channel your inner Katniss Everdeen. Show no mercy and have a little patience, and the odds will be ever in your favor.

1. Arrive at the Union – anxious and excited about the possibilities of attending the event – hours before tickets are being released.

2. Panic because of how many people are also casually sitting around the Information Center in the Union.

3. Try to focus on homework and study for the classes you’re missing because you’re at the Union, but spend more time looking at your “competition.”

4. Pop your head up from your textbook to see if anyone new arrived.

5. Approximately two hours later, they announce you’re allowed to “officially” get in line.

6. Run over to the roped off area and try to get a spot as close to the front as possible.

7. Attempt to entertain yourself on your computer – only three hours to go!

8. Take many, many selfies with your friend/and or strangers that are also waiting in line.

9. Bond with the person next to you about how your foot is falling asleep.

10. Start to tear up because your phone is dead and there are no free outlets in sight.

11. Start to cry harder because your laptop is dying, too.

12. Think about your fully charged iPad waiting for you at home, and really let the tears flow.

13. Awkwardly eavesdrop on the people around you.

14. Ask your friend for the time every five seconds because you can’t believe how long you’ve been sitting there.

15. Laugh at all of the people just arriving, who think they’re going to get tickets when the line is out the door.

16. And finally, after what feels like the longest day of your life, you stand up—

17. And get those Miley Cyrus, Macklemore or Cleveland Cavaliers tickets, and feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Sarah is a student at The Ohio State University who loves all things television and pop culture. She is a writer for HC OSU and a Chapter Advisor. For more from Sarah, visit www.sarahmarieh.wordpress.com or www.twitter.com/sarahhearon.