Twitter Profile: Personal to Professional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As spring time gets closer, so do the deadlines for internships, applications, and resumes. While you’re trying to figure out the best way to stand out and really show off your beautiful personality, it might be right in front of you. I’m talking about Twitter, the social media app with over 240 million active users. While many people use it as a tool for personal expression, it can be your secret weapon for scoring an interview, making a connection, or receiving helpful advice from those who have been in your shoes. So how do you make the transition from a personal to professional account? It’s simple:

1. Start with your username and profile pic. Your username might be something cute or funny like @xoxoQT or @princess_24, but in order to show professionalism you should switch it to your full name or initials. This shows potential connections that you’re serious and mature, you can show them your fun side in other ways! The same goes for profile pics, while your stunning selfie may be a pretty choice for your twitcon, try switching it up. Take a nice photo with good lighting in a blazer or nice top. You can get creative with it too! Change up the backgrounds, wear an outfit that reflects your personal taste, and have someone else take the photo of you. These minor fixes can make major statements and help you stand out from the others. 

2. Adjust your twitter bio. Leaving things out like your relationship status, star sign, the fandom you belong to, and punchy jokes will make space for info that catches people’s eyes in a positive way. Mention the school or college you are attending, the major you’re working toward, and any blogs or websites you run or have created. Items like these give viewers an idea of what you’re like and what you could bring to the table. It’s a subtle way of showing off a few of your talents! Even adding your location or contact info will boost your chances of someone reaching out to you.

3. Cleaning up and deleting inappropriate tweets. Yes I know, there are always those people you can’t help but subtweet about, or those parties that you want to brag about, but keeping it off social media is for the better. As tough as it is keeping those details out of your twitter feed, it will be beneficial to you. A vast majority of potential employers seek out their interviewees through social media and snoop around. If you don’t have dirt on your profile then they’ll have nothing against you and find you to be focused and motivated. Change these tweets out for ones that are inspirational, discuss what things you love doing or are interested in, and links or articles that you think will help others with similar interests. So scroll through your tweets and try to weed out the ones that aren’t really adding to displaying who you are as a person. Tip: read them out loud and pretend you’re reading them to your grandma or your boss. If it’s something you wouldn’t say to them or it sounds embarassing, toss them.

4. Tweet @ your biggest inspirations or potential employers. Many people avoid this because they’re afraid a.) they won’t get a response or b.) they’ll look stupid. First of all, many celebrities and people with twitter accounts LOVE receiving tweets directed towards them. It shows you care and have a passion or interest in what they’re doing. Second of all you look the opposite of stupid, showing that you’re bold enough to reach out to people who inspire you is impressive. You never know what could happen, there’s a possibility you could network with one of your rolemodels! Wanna go the extra mile? An email or a handwritten letter especially, shows you are really dedicated. After you land an interview for your dream job, be sure to send a handwritten thank you note to those who helped get you there. 

5. Follow people who inpsire you! Along with tweeting at them, following people who inspire you can not only push you to reach your goals but keep you sounding professional on social media. People who tweet similar content and keep it appropriate will encourage you to do the same. There are so many wonderful minds on Twitter with ideas that will complement yours. Find people who bring out the good in you and can connect with you on a personal level in a professional way. Entrepreneurs like @IvankaTrump, give wonderful advice no matter what career you’re headed towards. @HerAgenda is a great account for helping women find opportunities. And @InternQueen is a young woman with greatest career advice for landing an internship and gaining valuable experience and connections from it. By learning from those who inspire you, you can spread love and inspiration to those who look up to you. 

6. Delete and reset. If all else fails, deleting your Twitter and forming a new one can sometimes be the best option. This is what I did when I was entering my freshman year of college. It took the time and energy away from fixing and deleting and gave me a fresh start, something I wanted. This gives you the opportunity to erase past errors, remove unwanted strings, and connect with those who are willing to help you achieve your career goals. Sometimes a fresh start is just what we need to get us started on a track to success!

Good luck with your adventures, and have fun with your newest career tool! Your dream job is just around the corner.

Melissa is a freshman at the University of Oregon. She's working toward a journalism major with a minor in PR and business administration. She hopes to write, design, and style for a fashion magazine in New York. She loves being a writer for Her Campus Oregon and Ethos magazine, as well as being a member of U of O's Women in Business. In her free time she enjoys working on her fashion blog, sketching, and shopping.
The official Her Campus Oregon account