Top 5 Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Eugene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The Eugene food scene is an up-and-coming area I love about this city. The variety of restaurant options and the vibes I get from the food scene remind me a lot of what the city of Portland has to offer, especially when it comes to vegan/vegetarian-friendly options. Eugene is filled with an array of restaurants and I’ve personally chosen my top 5 favorites – they all have a welcoming and cozy atmosphere, along with vegan options that make it easy to stick with a plant-based diet. Whether you’re a vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, or none of the above, all of the restaurants listed below are suitable to fulfill your dietary needs with delicious and fresh-cooked meals. 

1. Morning Glory Cafe

Downtown Eugene 

Morning Glory Cafe is considered one of the oldest vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Eugene. They are well known for their eclectic and family-friendly atmosphere. This is one of my favorite spots to stop by for a weekend brunch. All of their dishes are made with pure, whole, and organic ingredients. The front of the cafe has a bakery section filled with vegan breads and pastries, from delicious dill rolls to warm coffee cakes. Their breakfast and lunch are both served all day, with both vegetarian and vegan options available. 

My recommendation for a savory breakfast dish: Mama’s tofu scramble — made with Mexi-Cali tofu scrambled with broccoli, zucchini & fresh cilantro served with a side of herbed glory potatoes and a side of the dill roll with Earth Balance Butter. 

2. Hideaway Bakery 

Amazon Drive in E. Eugene

Hideaway Bakery is one of my favorite hidden oases in the Eugene area. It’s an eco-friendly bakeshop offering goods made with fresh ingredients and organic coffee along with quaint outdoor patio seating area that’s perfect for sunny days. They are well-known for freshly baked artisan breads, wood-fired pizzas, and hand-crafted pastas. The bakery offers a range of vegetarian options for breakfast and lunch as well as vegan substitutes from seasoned tofu or tempeh. Hideaway Bakery is a perfect place to catch up with a friend over breakfast or lunch at a spot that is highly under-rated. 

My recommendation for a lunch special: Grilled Tempeh Salad – made with organic baby lettuces, grated carrots, red cabbage slaw, grilled tempeh and topped with tahini dressing, served with a slice of their home-baked artisan bread. 

3. Cornbread Cafe

West Eugene

As soon as you walk into Cornbread Cafe, you notice their colorful walls and 50s diner style decor. Cornbread Cafe is one of my favorite places to stop by whenever I have a hankering for homestyle & comfort food. Whether you’re craving Mac n’ Cheese, Chick n’ Waffles or Biscuits & Gravy, Cornbread Cafe will have all of those options for you, but made with 100% vegan ingredients (along with gluten-free options available), so you can indulge in your favorite comfort food dishes without the worry of any plant-based substitutions. This Eugene vegan dining-out experience will not disappoint and will have your mouth watering as soon as you take a look at the menu. 

My recommendation – Cornbread’s Infamous Sandwich: The Eugenewich – consisting of a southern-fried tofu patty, Daiya cheddar cheese, carrot bacon, haystack onions, lettuce, tomato with smokey sauce topped with a grilled bun and served with fries. 

4. The Vintage 

Downtown Eugene

The Vintage is my favorite – the quaint restaurant and bar was converted from a Victorian style house, giving a cozy and charming atmosphere as soon as you step inside. They offer a delicious brunch menu, including their savory and sweet crepes, with vegetarian options available. They also have a lunch menu filled with scrumptious dishes from vegan pasta to a vegan veggie burger. If you have room for dessert, The Vintage offers delicious fondue made with vegan chocolate upon request. The Vintage is a lovely restaurant perfect for date night or a girls’ night out. 

My recommendation for lunch/dinner: The Vintage Veggie Burger – Vegan and Gluten free vegetable patty on a Marche provisions ciabatta bun with lettuce, red onion, tomato and avocado (remove the red chili mayo to make it vegan). Served with shoestring fries and a pickle.

5. Sundial Cafe

24th & Hilyard, Eugene 

Sundial Cafe is one of my personal vegan go-to places. The cafe has a light and relaxed flare and they specialize in vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free dishes & desserts. Their brunch menu offers an array of items from a savory, vegan “Supernova Hash” to a sweet “Saturn Day” vegan pancake. They also have a lunch and dinner menu and offer vegan milkshakes. Sundial is a gluten-free cafe that offers great vegan options and daily specials that will make you want to keep coming back for more. 

My recommendation for an inexpensive lunch/dinner item: The Eugene Bowl –  made with seasoned organic black beans, organic brown rice, fresh pico, avocado, vegan sour cream and cilantro dressing. You can also add marinated tofu for extra protein!

Hi! I'm Savannah Mendoza, a senior studying photojournalism at University of Oregon. Photography has always been one of my passions and I also love hiking, smoothie bowls, cats and going to the beach. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn about photography and writing through the opportunity of Her Campus.
The official Her Campus Oregon account