Best of Skincare Herojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Best of Skincare Herojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Megan Charles / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I have a slight obsession with skincare products. It wasn’t until high school that I started to get terrible acne. I didn’t do my research on healthy ways to get rid of it. I did the usual, picking, popping, scratching, over-exfoliating, all the DIY masks, and nothing seemed to work. It probably wasn’t until I turned 19 that I started to understand what my skin needed, what irritated it, what products to use, and how to develop a skincare routine. It took a lot of trial and error, watching YouTube videos, researching ingredients, and brands. 

Good Skincare Doesn’t Have to Break the Bank!!!

Drugstore and affordable skincare has not only been all the rage lately, but the quality is fantastic for their prices! Not everyone can afford the most expensive brands, and honestly, why bother when you can get the same results for cheaper. If you’re looking into trying a new product or specific ingredient, you might as well go the cheaper route just in case it doesn’t work out. That way, you didn’t waste so much money on something that would work for you! Look into CeraVe, The Ordinary, The Inkey List, and my new personal favorite, Versed.

SPF SPF SPF

When I was younger, my mom always told me to wear sunscreen, and frankly, I NEVER listened. I thought because I never burned, I was fine. But getting a glowy tan is not worth cancerous UV rays and damage to your skin! And little did I know that SPF was essential every day, even if there aren’t any clouds in the sky. Try out moisturizers with SPF built-in or 2020’s best-ranked, the Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 by Supergoop ($34/50ml).

Serums for Different Concerns

Serums are something that I’m still experimenting with right now. Different ingredient formulas are better suited for specific skin types or concerns. For example, everyone should be using a vitamin C serum to help combat wrinkles and brighten your skin! Just be cautious when looking into serums, as some ingredients can clash with your other products’ ingredients. 

Natural/Organic Doesn’t Always Mean Good

Now I am all for naturals and trying to shop more sustainably. I always love to see when a brand is vegan, cruelty-free, and has biodegradable or recyclable packaging. However, just because all the ingredients in products are derived organically doesn’t necessarily mean it will work—chemicals aren’t all bad. SkinCare by Hyram said it best, “I don’t believe in harsh chemicals, but I do believe in science for skincare.” 

Just because your favorite celebrity or influencer suggests a brand, that doesn’t mean it will work for you. Everyone’s skin is different, and it’s hard to find people who share products they use without paid endorsements. The bottom line is, skincare is a journey, and it takes time. Be patient with yourself and remember to avoid parabens, fragrances, and PLEASE stop using makeup remover wipes. :)

Hi there! I'm Geralline, or some people call me Ger for short. I am a junior at the University of Oregon studying public relations. I love all things vintage-inspired, plants, beauty, and any excuse for grabbing a coffee with a friend. I currently work at a local coffee shop in my hometown and have been obsessed with experimenting with new drinks. I am so excited to be a part of such an empowering community of women!
The official Her Campus Oregon account