Is It Worth It To Pursue Two Majors?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We’ve all thought about college at various points while growing up, and they’re usually visions along the lines of joining Greek life, making friends to last a lifetime or even meeting your future spouse in class, but does anyone ever really think about doubling their work load?

It’s a scary thought. Everyone knows college ups the ante from high school, and you can’t get by so easily anymore. Having one major is enough work to last four years, so why add another? Is it worth it? All these questions have been racing through my mind this week as the end of my sophomore year approaches. I’ve finally decided to add a second major to my college mission. And, to be perfectly honest, I’m stressed, and I haven’t even started the classes yet. 

I had to get permission to take more credits than allowed per term just so I could fit in all the classes I’ll need to take for both majors. Obviously, the story would’ve been different if I had declared the two majors earlier, but nonetheless the work load increases significantly when you choose this track. So, here I am still trying to convince myself that I made the right choice. Honestly, I’m still not sure, but here’s why I think the double major is worth it. 

• College is meant to educate you further and push towards your career path. Choosing two majors that compliment each other only helps make this a more significant experience. 
  • The work is not that bad if you love, or at least like, what you’re doing. Hopefully you choose something you’re passionate about in college, and that alone makes the work worth it.
  • It’s only four years, or, in my case, two. It’s going to go by fast. Although it may seem like a lot of work, it won’t last long. 
  • You’ll get the most out of your time at college, and you’ll graduate twice as ready to take on the world. Two times the degrees, two times the capabilities. 

If you ask me, yes, a double major is a lot of work and somewhat intimidating, but in the long run it can only help you. 

The official Her Campus Oregon account