How to Manage Your Classes with the Excitement of Spring Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Spring Term is the time to take a light course load, plan trips, soak up the newly exposed Oregon sunlight, and get ready for summertime. However, just because spring term is one of the best times of year to have fun, doesn’t mean that you should forget about the reason why you came to college: school. Here are a couple tips to not fall behind spring term and still have as much fun as humanly possible.

1. Schedule out your assignments/tests early on

Hey, it is only week 3. However, it’s also ALREADY week 3. If you are like me and have a heavy reading load in some of your classes, it is easy to fall behind and forget about your assignments. Get yourself a planner and mark out all the important dates for the term. Trust me, those dates will creep up on you faster than you think. Getting ahead early will only help you out in the end. Reminding yourself that you have a midterm, next Tuesday will make that Saturday night a lot more manageable if you start studying Thursday instead of Sunday. Mental health and wellness is important too. Do not overwork yourself.

2. Get into a Routine

Whether it is working out five days of the week or remembering to do your laundry every Sunday, plans can and often will change in the spring. You will start going out on the most bizarre days of the week, and that is okay. Make sure that you have a solid routine for your schoolwork, your personal life, and your school life. Even eating lunch at the same time each day will make your life feel a little less scatter brained.

3. Know Your Limits

Sometimes, it is extremely hard to say to a group of friends going out, regardless of what day of the week it is. Know when your body has had enough and trust your own judgment. If you are feeling guilty about going to a party, then you probably should not be going to that party. There will be so many opportunities this term to have fun with your friends, do not regret that one night when you go just a little too far. The last thing you want is to get sick from over working yourself and your body. No one wants to be sick in bed when the weather is beautiful outside.

4. Have a Strong Support System

Whether it is spring term or fall term, the life of a college student is not easy. Surround yourself with people that want you to succeed, and want to succeed as well. You are going to meet so many people in college, make sure you hold onto the ones that matter the most. When you feel like your ship is sinking in the middle of week seven, these people will pick you back up when you need it the most. There is nothing wrong with separating yourself from toxic friendships or relationships. If it does not feel right, then do not feel obligated to be a part of it.

5. Get a consistent sleep schedule

Getting that full eight hours in is sometimes hard in college. However, the more consistent you are with your sleep will make the rest of your life more consistent. Sleep is arguably one of the most valuable things you need to have both physical and mental wellness. Try to not take naps during the afternoon, often it will leave you feeling more tired then before and you are missing out on the best part of the day: when the sun it out. However, listen to your body. If you had a late night Sunday studying, then maybe you need a little catnap. It is all about moderation in order to do your best.

I hope that these tips will help you out with the chaos that comes with spring term and being on the quarter system. Overall, the most important thing is to have fun and be responsible about your whole life while doing it. The social aspect of college is an important one, but do not forget why you decided to come to school in the first place. 

My name is Chandler Baker, a senior at the University of Oregon. I am a public relations major and expect to graduate in June 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts from the School of Journalism and Communication. I am addicted to caffeine, concerts, and the outdoors.
The official Her Campus Oregon account