Glossier, Glossi(aye), Gloss(er), Gloss(e-er): Here’s What’s Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Glossier’s aesthetically pleasing marketing has definitely worked on me. I’ve tried 11 different products and I’ve even reordered some of them more than once. They are 1 of the 4 brands I consistently follow on Instagram, and I love every second of their Instagram stories. The way they use their social media to establish free marketing and expose their brand to the public is genius! They have a mini-series of snack tastings, interviews with employees about their choice of pen, and they display a workplace filled with empowered, successful women. Glossier displays an office that every girl wants to work for and a brand that every girl wants to try.

I’m here to give my fully unbiased opinion on the 11 products I tried. Let me preface this by noting that I am very pale, I always get the lightest product available, and sometimes even that’s too dark. I also have very dry, sensitive skin that takes a lot of upkeep. Because of my skin, I have tried nearly every product under the sun and I’ve finally found a routine that works for me. Here’s my experience with Glossier’s products.

1. Milky Jelly Cleanser

This is the sensitive skin face wash WINNER. It has taken me 20 years to find the perfect face wash, and Glossier has made it. If you’re wearing makeup, you put in on your face while still dry – it dissolves all your eye makeup and you just rinse it off. It is perfectly gentle and creamy. It doesn’t exfoliate, which is perfect for sensitive skin. The downsides of the product are that it has a hard time taking off foundation. I usually use a make up wipe for my face and then wash my face using the Milky Jelly Cleanser, that way all of my makeup is removed and my skin gets cleansed by the product.

2. Priming Moisturizer

This moisturizer is also one of my absolute favorites. It really does prime your skin for makeup and leaves you with this dewy fresh texture on your skin. And, it actually moisturizes! I have the driest skin known to man and it leaves my skin feeling amazing. The downside? The bottle is tiny. I go through it so fast that I had to stop reordering it because it just didn’t seem like I was getting enough product for how much I was paying. This is something I would get delivered to me once a month if I could, but I’m a college student, after all, and have other, more important things to spend my money on.

3. Balm Dotcom

They advertise this product as a great, heavy moisturizer for your whole face. It comes with the same amount of product as a normal tube of chapstick but triple the price. I have the original, which is unflavored, and I have the birthday edition. The original is pretty much the same thing as using Aquaphor on your lips, which is what I used before. I like thick lip moisturizers because my lips get dry really fast. Carmex and Aquaphor are the normal lip moisturizing products I use, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop. There seems to be no other product as effective for the price of those. Glossier’s Balm Dotcom is definitely inferior and much more expensive.

4. Invisible Shield

Okay, this was a game changer. They really killed this one. I put it on and it blends into my skin like nothing was ever there. This was exactly as advertised. It also gives you this dewy, healthy glow. I think I will order this for the rest of my life. I have nothing to even complain about! A++ Glossier.

5. Super Bounce

This is one of the serums they advertise as helping your skin when it is rough and tired looking. Because my skin gets so dry and rough, I thought what a good idea! So I bought it, and every time I use it, I see no difference. I would not buy this again for that reason. The one serum I do use and love is a vitamin C extract serum. When I put that on at night, I wake up and my skin is GLOWING. Vitamin C serum is the way to go. I don’t know how or why it works so well, but it seriously is the best one ever.

6. Generation G

This is Glossier’s version of a casual everyday lipstick. I have three colors of it; Cake, Like, and Crush. I love Like, but don’t like the other two colors. Cake is very nude and does not look good on such a pale person as me. Crush is just too bright, it does not look like how it is advertised on the pale model. Like is perfect though. It enhances the already pink tones in my lips while having the ability to build up to a more pigmented shade. It goes on like chapstick so you don’t have to worry about lip liner and could truly be worn everyday without looking like you’re trying very hard. If you find the right color for you, Generation G is a slam dunk.

7. Boy Brow

This is Glossier’s bestselling product. And to be completely honest, I have to ask how that could be? The tube is tiny, it’s hypothetically cheap for makeup, but not for the amount of product you’re actually getting, and its no game changer. Backstory: I have never waxed my eyebrows before. They are pretty tame and naturally don’t need to be brushed. The way Glossier recommends to use Boy Brow is by brushing up on your brows. This is completely unnatural for my brow hair, although I have to admit it looks like a natural groomed way for doing your brows. However, Boy Brow does not add too much to the overall look. Boy Brow comes out of its tiny tube pretty chunky and it’s not that pigmented. Before I bought it, I watched the online tutorials of the before and after, and I found myself having to ask what changed? It is the same thing when you get the product in your hands. You look at your eye brows and you ask yourself, what did this product do? I would much rather use powder or a pencil to fill in my eye brows than Boy Brow. This will be a one time purchase for me and I truly will never understand why this product is Glossier’s best selling product.

8. Perfecting Skin Tint

I am all about the light coverage foundations. I have many kinds of bb creams and use them when I go to class and to run errands. This was also a one-time purchase. It is almost too light. You put it on your skin and you again find yourself asking, what did this product even do? It claims to even out the skin tone while still making your skin look like skin. But it leaves your skin to look exactly how it was, while drying you out! The only scenario in which I would recommend this product is to a person who had perfectly moisturized, flawless skin that didn’t need to be covered anyway.

9. Haloscope 

The perfect everyday casual look highlighter. Another slam dunk for Glossier. It is creamy and really truly creates a dewy, healthy, youthful effect for your skin. I wear it with just a bb cream and put it on the bridge of my nose, about my eye brow peak, on my cheek bones, and above my upper lip. It makes me look like I’m glowing without making me sparkly. It is definitely the perfect casual everyday natural looking highlight.

10. Stretch Concealer

This product definitely works as concealer, but I have had issues with it drying my skin out in the patches I put it on. I would recommend this product to a person with oily skin or that rarely struggles with dry skin. Overall, I would not buy it again. But unlike a lot of Glossier products, it does actually come with a lot of product.

11. Body Hero Daily Oil Wash

At first, I did not see the appeal of this product. It comes out like literal oil and then you rub it on to your skin and it turns a tiny bit frothy, definitely not bubbly like advertised. At first I thought the smell could have been so much better and I didn’t think it would be nice for shaving. The bottles are also smaller and does not really make it feel like you’re getting your moneys worth. After using it for a couple of weeks now, it has actually grown on me a lot. The smell I absolutely love now, and I associate it with being clean. The oily texture makes me feel like a soft dolphin in the shower and it is actually nice to shave with because its such a thin product and doesn’t get trapped in your razor. I actually would recommend this to a friend and would most likely get this product again.

I am a junior at the University of Oregon. Majoring in Public Relations. Let me pet your dog.
The official Her Campus Oregon account