This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Honestly, bra shopping can be the worst. It always feels like when you’re shopping for one that it’s never in your size, your preferred style, or in your price range. You might even “settle” for a bigger or smaller size than you usually are and think, hey, this doesn’t feel bad, it might work. Unfortunately, it won’t.

It’s believed that 80 percent of American women are wearing the wrong bra size. There are a lot of factors that contribute to this problem. Some stores only carry a certain range of sizes; sizes they think is the most popular and that women in-between will just have to deal with. Different brands will sometimes have different size standards. Most of the time, a lot of girls really don’t know what makes a good bra fit. Having a poorly fitted bra can contribute to a lot of health problems, from skin rashes to back pain to saggy boobs (and nobody wants that), so here are some tips to make sure you find the right one.

Check the front panel of your bra between the cups. Is it laid flat to your chest, or slightly lifted?

If the panel is not right against your skin, your band size is too big. To remedy that, try a bra with one band size smaller and one cup bigger (Example: 34B à 32C). Another indication of an oversized band is that it rides up to shoulder blades instead of staying in the middle of your back. This is often the biggest issue with ill-fitted bras. The band of your bra holds almost all of the support (bra straps only support 10 percent!) so making sure you have proper band sizing can make all the difference in the world.

A good tip to make sure your band will last is to wear the loosest hook on your bra. That way, when it stretches over time, you can make it tighter!

Got the “double boob”?

Do your breasts look like they are “spilling” out of the cups? Perhaps it’s time to get a bigger cup size. Cup sizes that are too small can irritate your ribcage and cause you to lose breast tissue.

Want to go to a proper fitting, but don’t know where?

Lingerie stores that have extensive sizes have attendants that can help you find the perfect bra. Try Nordstrom, or to stay in Eugene–the Freudian Slip is a good place to start.

“Wait, someone said I’m a D/DD cup. How is that possible?!”

The media likes to make you think that a D or DD means you have to be like, Pamela Anderson. Not true! It’s just a matter of combinations of cup and band size. I was a 34C and was told I was more of a 32D. I can tell you I look nothing like Kat Dennings.

“I HAVE to wear bigger bras. I can barely fill a 32AA!”

Though you might not be able to find your size in a bargain bin, there are smaller band sizes than a 32. Several stores carry sizes as small as 30A, and Nordstrom has supplied bras at 28! As said before, these stores and brands have a greater selection, online as well. Another option, which goes for all sizes, are bralettes. They’re great for girls who don’t need that much support, and they can be lacey and adorable.

This seems like a lot of money and effort to just find something to just hold your boobs, but you wear bras every day. Having a good bra can give you better posture and make sure your boobs don’t sag too much when you get older. Your future self will thank you.

Fly gal with her nails done.