books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Fight off the Morning Funk!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As week ten and finals week slowly creep up, it is very easy to wake up in a funk. Motivation is low and pressure is high so I gathered some ways that you can fight off the morning funk!

1. A warm drink or coffee

A warm drink will start off your day in a delicious way! 

Pro tip: Warming up a mug of water and honey gives you a tasty warm drink that costs close to nothing!

2. Energy Body Soap

This soap is from bath and body work’s aromatherapy line and it’s orange and ginger scents, along with deep breathing, are meant to help give you that boost of energy in the morning. 

3. Stretching

Your body will thank you if you allow it few minutes in the morning to stretch. Lately, I’ve been stretching along with some peaceful piano holiday music to put me in the holiday spirit! 

4. Music

Speaking of music, another great way to get out of your funk is to GET FUNKY! Blasting your favorite tunes from the start of your day sets the tone of happiness for the rest of your day. I personally have a playlist labeled “happiness” that is filled with all of the songs I associate with happy memories. 

5. Waking up earlier to enjoy breakfast

For those who don’t enjoy early starts, this one may not be for you. But for my morning gals, this can lead to a fabulous start of your day. Starting off your day an hour earlier will let you wake up peacefully knowing that you have more time than usual to whip up something filling and yummy, parents don’t lie when they tell us that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”!

6. Waking up earlier to get ready

The same goes for taking your time to get ready. For me, putting some thought into my outfits or putting on some makeup makes me feel great for the rest of the day!!

7. Treating your roommates, neighbors or dorm floor

Making your friends smile is sure to put you in a great mood! Treating them with festive candy or a note will brighten your day and theirs.

8. Making Lists

I am one to obsess over what I have to accomplish each day and making lists helps me organize that! I take about five to ten minutes each day to plan out what needs to be done: meetings, lunch dates, errands, etc. Creating this kind of list pulls me straight out of a funk because my busy day is written down on a piece of paper, instead of floating around in my head!

I hope some of these funk fighters help you out in the next few weeks! Good luck and stay positive, you got this!!

Sareena graduated from the University of Oregon in 2020 with a Bachelor's degree in Social Science and minor in Nonprofit Administration. She is a certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor who creates inclusive fitness experiences where every body and mind can feel proud of their accomplishments! She is currently a full-time personal trainer and coach in Southern California! Sareena hopes to empower Her Campus readers with her voice and chronicle the realities that comprise post-grad life.  You can find her on instagram, @seedswithsareena. If you want to try one of her workouts, find Seeds with Sareena on Youtube!
The official Her Campus Oregon account