This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

So, you love to socialize, but only for a little bit, and you have dozens of friends, but still value your alone time over everything. You, my friend, may be an outgoing introvert. This has been a title in the making for quite some time because all through growing up and developing into yourself the question is always asked at some point or another, “Are you an extrovert or an introvert?” The answer is always the same, “well, it depends on how well you know me,” and there’s never a clear-cut choice to describe you. Yes, going out is fun and the excitement of people and situations enthuses you, but how can people do that 24/7? The truth is, there’s never really a great way to describe yourself if you’re introverted but also outgoing because not everyone will always agree with you. Close friends will always claim that you’re the crazy, wild one, while those not as close to you will say that it’s weird to even hear you speak more than two sentences. 

We’re all human, and the fact of the matter is that being social is a choice and not everyone can choose it all the time, but then again, not everyone can be alone all the time. There’s a balance for some people that illuminates the best of both worlds and allows you to be both loud and fun but also private and reserved. Although it’s a complete contradiction and not everyone will understand it, it’s okay to not be entirely one personality type. Being introverted is a blessing that allows you to self-reflect and understand yourself better in the hopes of becoming a greater version of yourself. Extraversion gives you the ability to make friends with anyone and be the life of the party that is truly unforgettable, but put these traits together and you become a paradox within yourself. 

Allow yourself to be entirely you and don’t question whether or not you’re doing it right. You may never fit into one personality type or find people exactly like you, but that’s what makes it spectacular. You get to insert your own feelings into every situation and make choices that reflect you in the best way possible. Embrace being on both sides of the personality spectrum and enjoy your own confusing personality as it is because being an outgoing introvert is unrivaled. 

The official Her Campus Oregon account