Style > Beauty

Keeping Your Skin Healthy This Winter: The Do’s & Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Whether we’d like to admit it or not, winter (and below freezing temperatures) are quickly approaching. Possibly the worst part of the winter weather is the toll it takes on our skin. Nothing says winter quite like dry, itchy skin! Well, this winter you don’t have to follow the same cycle- just check out these do’s and don’ts!

Do:

Use Lotion & Essential Oils

These can help trap the moisture in your skin, as well as supplement the moisture you lose through the day. Pro tip: apply while your skin is still a little damp to trap extra moisture in!

Drink Water

Hydrated skin starts from the inside out! Drinking more water provides more hydration to your body as a whole, including your skin. If you’re dehydrated, your skin doesn’t have any extra water to hold on to. Hydration in the winter is just as important as in the summer months.

Take Vitamins

Specifically, Vitamin E! Working from the inside out helps keep everything healthy and moisturized. Vitamin E is an antioxidant, so it helps prevent damage, and it is known to help inflamed, irritated skin. It is great for maintaining healthy skin and keeping your immune system working.

Sleep with a Humidifier in Your Room

Cold air holds less moisture than the warm, humid summer air. Try to counteract this by keeping a humidifier in your room to help maintain higher moisture levels! Your skin will thank you!

Pat Skin Dry with a Towel

Rubbing your skin only further irritates it and takes away any of the moisture you might have trapped in during your shower! Patting it in promotes the absorption of moisture and prevents further irritation.

Don’t:

Take Burning Hot Showers

Hot showers might feel amazing on an extra cold day, but that hot water does wonders for drying your skin out! Try minimizing the amount of hot water you’re using, and if you can bring yourself to do so, completely eliminate it! Try a lukewarm shower instead. Not only is it really great for your skin, but your hair will thank you as well!

Take Long Showers

Like I said, hot water is really bad for your skin. You’d be surprised to learn that sticking around in the shower for periods of time is pretty bad, too. You’d think soaking in all that moisture would be good, but it’s not! All that water can also dry your skin out. Try to limit your showers to 15 minutes or less, your skin will definitely thank you!

Let Dry Skin Stick Around

AKA exfoliate!!! Keeping all that dry itchy skin around is just uncomfortable! You can buy one or make your own body scrub, and use it to get rid of all that dead skin to make way for new, healthy skin!

Use Products that Contain Alcohol

Alcohol is SUCH a drying ingredient, try to avoid it at all costs. It’s bad enough that the air outside is cold and drying your skin out, the last thing you want is for your face and body products to contribute even more to that. If you can’t cut it out completely, try to limit your exposure to these products to 2-3 times per week!

Use Just ANY Moisturizer

Like I said, alcohol is REALLY bad for your sensitive winter-time skin. You’d be surprised how many products meant to moisturize contain such a drying ingredient! There are plenty of other drying agents in beauty products, so do your research and make sure you read the side of the bottle BEFORE you buy.

Hopefully these tips & tricks help keep your skin from drying out as the cold weather approaches!

HCXO,

Emily

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!