Her Campus Oneonta & the OH Fights Cancer Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

On April 13, 2018 SUNY Oneonta hosted the OH Fights Cancer Walk as a way to raise money for two local families who have been affected by cancer. Her Campus Oneonta was honored to participate, as well as host a table to help raise money for these families. We all had a great time, hanging out with one another while also fighting for a great cause. We were selling Wish Bracelets to help raise money. We laid out the string & the beads & as walkers stopped by they were able to design their own bracelet; we had beads in a multitude of colors to represent all the different types of cancers so each bracelet could be personal to the individual making it.

The walk was from 6 pm-12 am, but it went by so quick because we had such a great time!There were a variety of events that took place, including karaoke, a photo booth, and even a hot pepper eating contest. The most touching part of the walk was the closing ceremony where the effect cancer has on everyone was demonstrated through the use of glow sticks. A representative from each of the two families was there to read a touching statement from their loved one. We all walked a silent lap to close the ceremony.

Her Campus Oneonta had a great time at the walk & we were honored to be able to host a table to contribute to these brave families. We loved taking pictures with everyone, as well as putting ourselves out there for the campus! A lot of people didn’t know we even had a Her Campus chapter, so it was great to share that with the campus! One of our awesome members even designed us shirts so we could all match & show that we were walking together! We are looking forward to participating again next year!

HCXO, 

Emily

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!