This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

I’ve always wondered what the driving motivating force behind those individuals who workout every day, or even every other day is. I have never been one to feel the need to work out, but I wish that was not the case. Working out has so many physical and mental benefits, including weight loss; toning and muscle sculpting; certain training can improve one’s flexibility and/or their strength; and can even lower stress levels. When I do have the time to work out, I always feel somewhat leaner, but undoubtedly worlds happier. Despite this positive feeling I always have after a good workout, I still fall into a routine in which I end up going days or even weeks before I work out again. Because of this, I was determined to find ways that would help me to personally find the motivation to workout that I have been lacking. My goal was to engage in such activities at least four times a week.

One strategy I use to get motivated to go to the gym, or even workout in my room, is to set an alarm on my phone that would remind me to workout. In the morning, I establish a time during that day in which I would be free to work out. Next, I set my alarm for that time. This strategy would likely work for someone who is good with developing a scheduled routine and sticking with it.

Another strategy that has been helpful to me has been to watch fitness YouTubers; seeing various work outs they find enjoyable, is wildly motivational, even if it only lasts long enough to initially get inspired. After watching certain fitness influencers describe their workouts, I always seem to feel more motivated to work out, in part because I desperately want to love going to the gym and working out as much as these YouTubers do. Some of the YouTubers that I enjoy watching the most, including those who leave me most motivated include: Heidi Somers, Whitney Simmons, and Emily Hayden; all of these popular female YouTubers create motivational videos and other content that are filled with tips and work out routines, among a host of other valuably informative contents. I find that such components have inspired me and, hopefully, you as well, to put on your favorite work out outfit and hit the gym.

I hope that one of these strategies helps you get motivated to work out and stay healthy!

HCXO,

Kat

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!