Wellness > Health

The Five Things You Understand If You’re a Hiker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

1. Carrying a pack is the most wonderful, yet most annoying thing you can possibly own.

When you’re hiking you never know what could happen, so you want to be prepared right? But as you are hiking a peak, you start to contemplate how prepared you really want to be. Will I fall and break my leg? Nah. Never gonna happen to me…will it?

2. You can never look attractive while hiking.

If you look attractive hiking you are definitely doing it wrong. When the flies are biting you, your feet hurt and your gear is chafing no matter how you try to fix it, YOU WILL NOT LOOK ATTRACTIVE. You do what you gotta do.

3. Quick Clot will be the item in your pack you REALLY REALLY want to try.

Quick clot is ordinarily used to help bleeding stop when someone has a severe open wound until you can get them to a hospital. It is also one of those things that you want to use to see how it works; YouTube videos just aren’t the same as seeing it in real-life in action. You know you’re a hiker if you tell your friends if they are ever injured to tell you before they call 911 so you can use your new toy.

4. Drinking water is essential.

Water is very important on a hike. You have to make sure you have enough just in case, and you also have to make sure you don’t drink it all in one sitting. It’s a delicate balance.

5. When you want to hike, yet you dread it.

Hiking is something that I absolutely love. The views, the journey of the hike, the friendships you can create, meeting new people— it never ends. Usually leading up to a difficult hike, I wonder if I reaaaally want to do it but once I’m there, it is the best decision I’ve made.

HCXO, Haley