This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

With the transition from home to school, many people start getting out of their fitness routine because they will no longer have that nice weather to motivate them to be active. Here are some fitness favorites to help keep you motivated to be the healthiest you can be until Summer rolls around once again:

Foam Roller

I can’t even begin to explain how much a foam roller will change your workout game. A foam roller helps to stretch out the connective tissue that surrounds your muscles. Some people foam roll after their workout, when they wake up in the morning, before they go to sleep or dedicate a whole workout to foam rolling (it’s all in what works best for you). There are multiple types of foam rollers, each having a different purpose, look and benefits.

Synergy Slides

I wouldn’t say that Synergy slides are completely necessary to a workout, but they are a pretty convenient piece of equipment to have. They are especially convenient when stepping up your game with some workout moves. Synergy slides work on both hardwood and carpet floors and are meant to be placed underneath your hands or feet depending on what you are using them for. Many people use them for moves such as mountain climbers to create more resistance for more leg and abdomen muscle activation.

Rx Bars

First off, I am not a fan of dried dates. They’re an odd thing if you’re asking me, but this is one health food bar that contains dates that I will eat. Rx Bars say exactly what is in them on the front of the package so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body.

Jump Rope

Jumping rope is one of the best forms of cardio, especially when in a HIIT workout. Jumping rope gets your heart rate up fast and you don’t need a lot of room or expensive equipment to do it. I have also found that when doing weights, jumping rope is great to do in-between sets to continually keep your heart rate up.

Stability Pod

I have used stability pods since seventh grade. I have always had some issues with my knee and hip strength from running cross-country, and I used the stability pod to increase strength in my ankles, knees and hips. They are also great for balance. I use the stability pod on the days that I commit to foam rolling to use it as a healing workout day! Not all workouts have to have you sweating bullets to gain benefits.

Gym Bag

Finally, you can’t forget a gym bag to put your equipment in. Whenever I go to the gym, I like to bring a workout bag of my own equipment in case it is really busy and hard to get access to the equipment I want to use. I like this gym bag specifically because of it’s three outside pockets to keep smaller items such as my headphones and hair ties in.

A key to remember:

Working out isn’t about looking a certain way or being like someone you see on the Internet, it is about how it makes you feel. A lot of people struggle to get themselves to the gym, but it doesn’t have to be a chore. If all you feel like doing that day is a walk, then only do the walk. There is no sense in doing a workout you hate, because you’ll never do it again. It’s all about what keeps you going and feeling good. :)

Being happy with yourself should be your favorite.

Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen