This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

On Wednesday, November 28th at 7:00 pm in CME Room 101 Her Campus Oneonta presents Empowerment Speaks. 

Empowerment Speaks is the first stepping stone in the transition from Her Campus to Our Campus. The goal of this event is to create a dialogue that is centered around the empowerment for all of those who identify as part of a marginalized minority group as well as educating those who may not identify in the same way. As Her Campus, we are working to raise awareness and we want to build a new foundation which focuses on empowerment and becoming an ally for the LGBTQ+ community as well as other marginalized minority groups. Before becoming an ally, we need to listen to individuals who identify as a part of these groups and hear about their experiences and how they advocate for themselves. We also need to be aware of the societal factors that have contributed to inherent biases. The language used when speaking about marginalized groups and to those who identify as being a part of one is very important. We hope that this dialogue serves to educate and motivate people to become an ally.

SUNY Oneonta faculty, staff, and students will be taking the time to share their background and personal experiences which allow them to effectively contribute to the conversation. We will then ask our panel questions to get us started and hope this encourages a dialogue between panel members and attendees.  Our panel includes:

1. Kristen Blinne, Assistant Professor Communication Studies, Affiliate Faculty Women’s & Gender Studies

2. Melinda Brennan, Assistant Professor Women’s and Gender Studies

3. Greg Hummel, Assistant Professor Communication Studies, Affiliate Faculty Women’s & Gender Studies

4. Emily Phelps, Assistant Director Student Life & Leadership/Gender and Sexuality Resource Center

5. Faith Tiemann, Director of Multicultural Student Initiatives

6. Nazhaya Barcelona, President of THAT GIRL Club

If you are interested in submitting a question to our panel you can use the form found HERE or submit questions anonymously prior to the event starting.  Participation is not necessary but we encourage that you do! We also ask that you come with an open mind, bring friends along, and be respectful to others at the event.

LEAD credit will be offered and we will provide snacks & drinks! 

We hope that you will join us for this amazing event!

HCXO, Shea

Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!