The Best Places to Study on Campus That Aren’t the Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The library is a great place to study for a lot of people, but unfortunately it doesn’t work for everyone! Sometimes it’s just too quiet or there aren’t enough spots for you to sit down and study, it happens. Have no fear, there are plenty of other places where you can get your productivity on all over campus!

1. Hunt Union

There are SO many places to sit down and get some work done at the student union! If noise and a little bit of bustle doesn’t bother you, there’s Starbucks or the Living Room, which also has a bunch of computers if you find yourself in a pinch! If the noise is too much, you can head upstairs and sit at the tables; if there’s no meetings going on any of the meeting rooms throughout the union make great study rooms. And if none of those work, the former Red Dragon Outfitters (when it’s not under construction) makes for a great place to get homework done!

2. Fitzelle

This building is known for how beautiful it is both inside and out, BUT it’s functional, too! There are plenty of places all over the place on each floor for studying, either by yourself or with a group! Not only do you have a nice view while you’re trying to get things done, but you are only steps away from Seasons, which has the best bagels on campus. Bonus tip: as long as a class isn’t going on inside, classrooms are fair game.

3. Physical Science

The newest addition to the academic buildings, Physical Science is equal parts pretty and functional. There are tables all over the place for you to spread your papers out over, as well as some really nice group study rooms. The same bonus tip I gave for Fitzelle applies here too; and these classrooms are even nicer than the ones in Fitz. Maybe my opinion’s a little biased though.

4. The Quad

Weather permitting, of course, the quad is a really nice place to enjoy the nice weather (that we only seem to get twice a year) and get your schoolwork done. There’re picnic tables scattered around or some benches throughout the area. If that doesn’t work for you, there is plenty of grass for you to spread a blanket out on and work from there.

5. Residence Halls

Maybe you don’t want to leave your building, but you know for sure you’re not going to get anything done from your bed. There are study rooms on every floor of the residence halls which make for a great homework spot, and you’re not far from your bed when the time comes!

This campus is full of awesome study spots that can be found pretty much anywhere you look! Give these spots a try, and who knows, maybe you’ll have found your new Study Spot.

HCXO, Emily 

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!