5 Ways to Get More Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

In college, sleep is the most crucial and beneficial thing you can give to yourself. However, getting a full eight hours of sleep every night isn’t realistic when balancing good grades, a job and your social life. Here are some simple things you can do to help maximize the amount of sleep you get on a day-to-day basis.

1. Plan outfits the night before

Deciding what to wear in the morning can be a very time consuming process. So weather it’s a cute sundress or sweats, pull it out from your closet the night before so all you have to do is throw it on in the morning and go.

1. Shower at night

Before coming to college I was a dedicated morning shower person. I used to shower in the morning all throughout middle school and high school. But now I’ve realized that showering before bed can leave so much more time for sleep!

1. Don’t leave assignments for the morning

I know it can be tempting to start binge-watching Netflix early and save all your work/studying for the morning before class, but the truth is your better off getting it done at night time. (But not too late of course!)

1. Get on a sleep schedule

Going to bed and getting up at the same time every day is extremely beneficial because when your body gets used to the cycle it allows you to fall asleep faster at night. And it won’t be as painful to get up in morning because your body gets used to the time.

1. Make sure your sleep is restful

Going to bed with the TV, lights on etc. is extremely bad because it wakes your body up throughout the night and instead of getting restful sleep, you go in and out of sleep.

Hope you can take away from this article and get a good nights sleep!

Jess is from Albany, New York and is currently a sophmore at SUNY Oneonta studying psychology. in her free time she loves to dance, go to concerts, and write! Follow on instagram and twitter (@jess_carlson_)
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen