Why Emma Watson Should Be Every Humans Idol 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Rachel Culp

First of all, I’m not sure why I even need to write an article about this. Doesn’t everyone know Emma Watson has GRACED the Earth with her presence? If you’re reading this and don’t agree, you better keep reading because I promise you’ll soon realize I’m right. And if you still don’t, I expect an article listing why the person you have in mind as your idol is better. I expect MLA-formatting and a Works Cited, by the way. 

1. Hermione. Emma Watson first became known through her role as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter movies. In the absolute most cliché way, Hermione taught me at a really young age that it was okay to be bossy and loud and SMART and unapologetic. Every little girl needs this in her life. 

2. Beauty and the Beast. I know many people take issue with Disney movies and the messages that they send, but before you judge Watson for taking the role as Belle, go read her article about it. She addresses every concern from Stockholm Syndrome to misogyny and explains oh-so-eloquently why she still took the role. And psycho-analysis aside, it was a really good remake. 

3. She is so damn intelligent. If you don’t want young people to have a young woman who has a degree from Brown University as her idol, not sure what to tell you. 

4. She is even more vocal. Watson never shies away from saying how she feels and what she thinks. But she does it in an educated and respectful manner. You could disagree with literally every word this woman has ever spoken, from politics to her favorite book, but you cannot argue that she is neither intelligent nor respectful. Again, oh-so-eloquent. 

5. PSA: stop here if you don’t want this to get political. Watson started a UN Campaign as an Ambassador to the UN focused on feminism. But not focused on burning bras and wearing pussy hats. A campaign based on understand first and foremost what it means to be a feminist. (Note to reader *insert definition). But her campaign was not focused on women. It was focused on HUMANITY. It was focused on bringing men into the conversation, on making it not a choice between man and woman, but a campaign to bring both sexes together for EQUALITY. Note one more time: it was not about women being superior, but being EQUAL. 

6. If you don’t follow her Instagram, go follow it. Not only is Watson all over the feminism campaign, she has also begun a campaign based on sustainability in the fashion industry. This woman will list every element of clothing that she is wearing, how/where it was made, and how it is sustainable. Shouldn’t we all show this much love to Mother Nature? 

7. BOOKS. On her Twitter, Watson often posts about books she is reading and why she is into them. Again, she is smart and vocal and wants to inspire our world to be a little bit more ~aware.~ 

8. She is British. She has a British accent. Self-explanatory enough. 

9. Again… Hermione. Ronald Weasley was not worthy. 

10. Her hair. Watson is questioning gender stereotypes for hairstyles with her often shortly-trimmed hairstyles. 

11. My favorite reason: Watson is NEVER interviewed or written about because of a new boy she is dating. Rather, all of the publicity surrounding her is about her UN Campaign, her next amazing role, her degree from Brown… she proves that she is more than just a girl who likes a boy every single day. 

Hope you are all feeling even more empowered after reading about how amazing Emma Watson is. If Hermione can become a UN Ambassador, why can’t you? 

SaveSave

SaveSave

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.