absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Quick and Easy Recipes for the Microwave so You Don’t Have to Leave Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Ayo Williams

If you’re anything like me then you don’t feel like walking downstairs to cook something up in the community kitchen. It requires staying there for the entire cook and prep time, as well as carrying all cooking dishes and utensils back to your room, which isn’t any fun. If you’re looking for something healthier than microwave-ready foods, then I have a few recipes I’ve tried that have turned out great.

Quesadilla

Place a tortilla on a microwavable plate and, on half, add salsa, your favorite shredded cheese, and any meat that you like (make sure that the meat is already cooked). Then, microwave for approx. 30 seconds to a minute or until the cheese is melted, fold it in half and you now have a delicious quesadilla.

Ravioli

If you like ravioli but want a healthier version than what’s in the can, you can buy a bag of frozen ravioli from the store. The brand that I used is Great Value, but any microwaveable brand is fine. Simply follow the directions on the bag (be sure to use a microwave-safe dish, a microwaveable soup mug is what I used), drain the water, and add your favorite sauce. If you are using a mug then be sure to mix the pasta halfway to make sure that it gets evenly cooked.

Steamed Veggies

Vegetables can be purchased in steamable bags that you can make right in the microwave. You can cook these frozen veggies in your mug. Simply follow the directions on the bag, and you’re done. If you really wanna get fancy, try adding some of the vegetables to a pack of Ramen or simply sprinkle some cheese on it.

These are just a few recipes that I have found to be helpful when I didn’t feel like leaving the room. There are a ton more recipes that can be found online, as well as by being creative and trying out your own combinations and techniques.

HC Ole Miss
Taylor is a senior at the University of Mississippi. She is a Physics and Biology major minoring in Chemistry and Italian. Taylor is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ole Miss and was a founding member of the Ole Miss chapter. Taylor also serves as the Treasurer of Society of Physics Students and mentor to 33 wonderful transfer students at her university. She absolutely loves to dress up, no matter the occasion. Also an avid cosplayer, she loves attending comic conventions and showing off her Wonder Woman cosplay as well as her Raven costume. Taylor loves to write about her personal experiences and how-to articles.