This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Claire Biggerstaff

I have always been a morning person, but even if you are not I think having an established morning routine leads to a more productive and positive day. I know that the words “morning routine” might make you think I am trying to convince you to wake up an hour early, but really all it takes is five to ten extra minutes to prepare yourself for whatever the day throws at you.  Waking up on the wrong side of the bed is a real thing, which is why establishing a morning routine is so important. When you add simple things like this to your schedule, you prepare yourself to be productive and kind throughout the day.

1. Make your bed

To be completely honest, I only started making my bed every day because I did not want my roommate to think I was a slob; however, after a few weeks it became a habit. Now, I cannot even imagine not making my bed. This is a great way to start your day off on a productive note. You have already accomplished something and once your bed looks neat you will be less likely to come back after your eight A.M and crawl back in.

1. Set intentions

I like to think of one word to guide my day like positivity or compassion. Think about your intention and what it will look like in your day while you are brushing your teeth or making your bed. This gives you a goal to make every day count.

1. Eat breakfast

This is a great way to make sure you are alert in your first class (along with a big cup of coffee if you are like me). I suggest keeping things like muffins, pop tarts, or yogurt in your room so you have something that does not require preparation in case you are running late.

1. Prepare for the morning the night before

Best part about this tip? It means you can set your alarm five minutes later. When your bag is already ready you are less likely to forget something important for a class because you are in a rush. I also suggest laying out your clothes, so you do not have to worry about that decision in the morning.

1. Listen to Some Good Music

Even if you have a roommate who is still sleeping you can pop in your headphones and listen to your favorite songs. This will help you start the day in a good mood, which will help the rest of your day be happy.

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.