jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Rachel Culp

What is SAD? SAD is commonly referred to as seasonal depression, and is officially referred to as “seasonal affective disorder.” According to the Mayo Clinic, “seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons… your symptoms start in the fall and continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody.”

***DISCLAIMER Although it is normal to feel down sometimes, the Mayo Clinic advises that “if you feel down for days at a time and you can’t get motivated to do activities you normally enjoy, see your doctor. This is especially important if your sleep patterns and appetite have changed, you turn to alcohol for comfort or relaxation, or you feel hopeless or think about suicide.” Mental illness is so, so important. And it is okay to be sad and depressed and need real help.

But it is also super normal to not necessarily be suffering from a mental illness, but just be unhappy and grumpy. I don’t know about you all, but these past few weeks with the constant rain and lack of sunshine I have been BEGGING for the rain to stop and the sun to peak out. I didn’t even realize how much the weather was affecting my mood, until it was. So here are some things that I have started to do to try and battle the ~SAD~ that this weather is creating…

1. Stay inside!!!! Don’t even make yourself be around the nasty cold and rain and puddles and mud and all the bad things that rain brings. Instead, curl up on yo couch with a blanket and read a good book. There is simply nothing better.

2. Call your mom or your dad or anyone who can bring a smile to your face from miles away. Admit it, nothing is better than catching up with those people who you love more than anything but suck at calling back.

3. Go dance in that rain. You’ll be wet and cold and gross afterward, but you just might gain an appreciation for that nasty weather while you’re dancing around in it.

4. Eat ice cream or popcorn or whatever your guilty-pleasure of choice is. Just do it. Go buy it and eat it and enjoy over moment of it.

5. Go look at old pictures of really sunny, wonderful summer and spring days to remind yourself that sunshine does exist!!! Remember that gorgeous tan you had after your summer vacay last year? Go stare at the picture for a few minutes, reminisce, and I swear you will feel better.

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.