jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Formal Formalities: How to Prepare for NOLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Ella McIlvain

It’s spring semester and that means it’s formal season!  It’s a really busy and fun time of year.  This is the time when fraternities host their big New Orleans formal where you and your date go spend the weekend down in NOLA.  Going to formal is a big undertaking.  It’s different than just the normal one from fall semester where you stay local and all you really have to do is get dressed up.  However attending a Nola formal comes with more to do’s before your ready to have a good time.  This is especially speaking to the ladies.  So it’s a big deal, you get asked to go to formal with a fraternity guy and now it’s time to prep.  So it is expected of the ladies to make and fill a cooler for their date as a little contribution to the formal weekend.  If you are a freshman and or its your first time going to formal this is a helpful guide for you. 

1. Making the cooler
    1. Buy a cooler (ready to paint or basic camping)

http://www.sratstar.com & https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=coolers

1. Sand & Prime if needed
  2. Paint it
  3. Seal it

The whole tradition of the painted cooler is kind of cool.  I think it is a great memento of the trip and some can turn out really cool.  The cooler task can be daunting due to it’s long process involving many prep steps.  However I recommend ordering a pre sanded and primed cooler.  It can be more expensive up front but in the long run it is so worth it to have a ready to paint cooler.  I bought mine off of SratStar and it was super awesome. If you don’t want to buy one thats ready to paint you can pick up any cooler at Walmart and then look at DIY cooler tutorials.  For painting you want to be personal with your designs and have them be tailored to the event and your dates interests.  For example if he has a favorite team or band.  It’s also nice to have some tie in to the school you go to, his fraternity, and mention the event.  If you get on Pintrest there are great ideas on their and some pretty amazing looking designs.  If your not very artistic that is ok you can either call in some help from a talented friend or go for the more simple designs.  Really it’s just about having fun with it, it’s no big deal if it doesn’t turn out perfect the point is you had a good time and you put effort into it. 

2. Fill it up

1. Drinks
  2. Snacks
  3. cups/straws
  4. Ice (if your feeling it)

The cooler is you and your dates little stash of goodies for the bus ride and the weekend.  It’s important here to take into consideration what your date likes to drink and throw in some of his favorites.  Snack are a little added extra I like to consider because let’s be honest your drinking a lot over the weekend and it’s good to have some food in their to grab as well your tummies will thank you later. 

The two main to-do’s before you load the buses up for formal.  It can feel like a lot of pressure and a lot to do but ultimately it’s up to you.  You don’t have to be all out and extravagant.  It’s just a little token of thanks for the fun and grand weekend awaiting you in New Orleans.  When in doubt talk to friends and older girls as well because they could have great insight and tips to help you and your experience.  Most importantly don’t get caught up in the details, it’s formal and it’s in New Orleans and that’s so fun so enjoy it!   

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.