This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

We have just enough time that we can build a habit before 2020 hits us at full speed. Don’t you wanna keep those resolutions before the new year even hits? Drop a jean size or clear up your skin? Me too, sis. Which is why we’re going to! 

I think New Year’s Resolutions never work because we don’t have the habit built-in. If we already have that habit-it can change how we respond to the new year. If you’re already seeing changes in your life the New Year boost will be even better. 

1. Cut out media that isn’t good for you.

Image by Pixabay From Pexels

If you find a TV show, a social media account, etc. cut it now! Girl, don’t wait till tomorrow. If the Tik Tok girls are making you feel like you’re never going to be pretty enough – delete that now! You’re too beautiful to let something make you feel like you’re not. 

2. Read a book a week (or one every 2 weeks).

Image by Ylanite Koppens  From Pexels 

People always tell me they don’t have time to read. I reject this and I also know that you’ll find yourself less stressed if you make time for mindful reading. Wake up 15-30 minutes earlier just to read. You’ll find yourself zooming through the books and your vocab expanding. GET IT, GIRL. 

3. Make the habit of hydrating before caffeinating. 

Image by Jonas Mohamadi  From Pexels

We all know hydration is important but if you’re anything like me, you’ve probably had the bad habit of drinking coffee before anything else. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve committed to drinking one glass of water before drinking coffee. 

4. Move. 

Image by Pille Kirsi From Pexels

I don’t want to say exercise, but I would say: move. Because moving can be taking a thirty-minute walk 3x weekly, or it could be doing a 10-minute yoga flow every morning (you’ll see crazy changes in your body within a month and be amazed). Moving helps us in so many ways and relieves stress. 

5. Make a realistic goal related to your health (that you can maintain through the Holidays).

Image by Picjumbo.com From Pexels

For me, this is eating at least a serving of veggies a day. For some that may be crazy small, but that’s the point. It needs to be small and attainable. You need to make a tiny healthy change for this next year. These may not add up right away, but over time, you’ll def see a difference.

6. Find a journaling routine that works for you.

Image by Ann H From Pexels

For some people this is bullet journaling, for others, this might be blogging, or a one line a day journal. But the point is, write down the memories that are happening right now. Get a notebook you love and start just writing one line, one paragraph, one page- whatever works for you. Because one day memories of today are all you’re going to have. But also, this is a great way for tracking goals and your progression. 

7. Practice your passion at least 1x a week. 

Image by ELEVATE  From Pexels 

Do something that you enjoy at least once a week just to enjoy it. Don’t stress about time or anything. This can be anything from watching an episode of a series you love, to taking a bike ride, to going out with friends. I don’t know what you’re passionate about, but make time for it. 

8. Practice Affirmations.

Image by Bruce Mars From Pexels 

I used to have a friend who would look at herself in the mirror and tell herself how beautiful she was. When I first saw this I was like “this bitch is crazy.” Now I’m like “this bitch is crazy smart” because we need to practice believing in ourselves. We need to practice believing in our abilities. Over this year this is something I’ve done and where I’m not where I’d like to be, I definitely like myself more than I did at the beginning of 2019.

9. Put 10, 15, 30 minutes of your day into learning something just for you.

Image by Brett Sayles From Pexels

This for me is usually two different things, my language learning, and my video/photography editing skills. I try to make time to watch videos or read about how to do these things better. They can also be related to your passion, but this is to increase your skillset. You’ll be surprised how much 5 minutes can make a difference. Download DuoLingo or follow a photography blog. You’ll be amazed too.

10. Do one of your New Year’s resolutions for these next 3 weeks. 

Image by Breakingpic From Pexels

This is whatever thing you’ve been wanting to do the past five years, past year, whatever. If it’s writing a book. If it’s starting a business. Start that process in the smallest way possible and move towards your goal NOW. 

Love you babes!

Tag me in what you’re doing @livesas on IG and @livesas3 on twitter. 

Sincerely, 

Sarah Ashley Smith

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.
Morgan is a senior at the University of Mississippi. She is a Business Marketing major with an emphasis in Digital Marketing. Morgan is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ole Miss and was previously the Marketing Director. She is also a Campus Trendsetter for Her Campus. Morgan is also the Treasurer of the Student Marketing Association at the University.