This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Buying new clothes, getting a new job or finding something you lost when you needed it can only create temporary happiness. It is a great feeling but it’s better to want to expand on, and make that feeling last a bit longer than usual. Follow these exercises to make a longer lasting, genuine feeling of happiness.

`1. Gratitude’s- Get a notebook and a pen. Write down anything that you are grateful for. It doesn’t matter what it is. It is something that you feel is important to you, so get it down on paper read it over and notice how each day some happy moments can be similar and some can be different.

2. Acts of Kindness- Take a few minutes out of your day to do something kind to someone for no reason. Maybe a chore at home that can benefit your guardians or siblings, or maybe volunteer somewhere during the holiday season.

3. Exercise- The benefits of exercising are both physical and mental. Exercising can reduce insomnia and strengthen your immune system. You could go on a 30 min walk or slow bike ride, it doesn’t have to be any heavy duty workouts just something to get you active.

4. Meditation- Everyone has a busy schedule and sometimes we don’t stop and breathe and slow down to realize we need to be in the moment. With enough meditation you can increase positive emotions and reduce negative emotions to create lasting happiness.

5. Fostering Relationships- We are a very social species and rely to our connections to others. Dedicate time to family and friends by doing cool and fun activities. Reach out to someone you haven’t connected with in a while.

*If you are having trouble finding happiness or find yourself unable to be happy, look for counseling in your area.

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.