nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My First NEDA Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

NEDA, the National Eating Disorders Association, is a non-profit organization that, “supports individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serves as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.” NEDA provides resources like educational materials, online screenings for eating disorders, a treatment directory, a toll-free, confidential helpline, research grants, and a blog that shares work from both professionals and eating disorder survivors.

I have worked with NEDA in the past several times. This past April, I was interviewed by them about my #BopoBallerina Instagram campaign. Then, in June I wrote a piece for their blog about my eating disorder recovery for World Eating Disorders Action Day. I have also been a panelist on two #NEDAchat events on Twitter.

NEDA also holds NEDA Walks throughout the country in order to raise awareness about eating disorders and their mission. On Sunday, October 1st, 2017, I attended the New York City NEDA Walk for the first time.

I am a National Ambassador for Project HEAL, a non-profit that provides treatment assistance for eating disorders, so I spent the majority of the day at Project HEAL’s table. Our table had flyers about Project HEAL’s programs and mission, free art made by me, and a giant post-it where people could write what is helping them heal.

I was able to speak with a number of people who visited our table about the magic of Project HEAL and my experiences in recovery. I also had the privilege of meeting a few people who follow me on Instagram, and it was very fulfilling to hear how I’ve inspired them and their recoveries. I truly love the work I do with Project HEAL, so being able to share their mission and message was really special.

I was also able to meet up with several friends who are also in recovery from eating disorders that I have met through social media. It was so incredible to feel the energy that was exuded from everyone at the event. My friends and I danced around and laughed incessantly because we were just so happy to be rejoicing in the true beauty and freedom that is found in recovery. We smiled, and cried, and shouted with pride for ourselves and for each other. The support that poured through every fiber of the event was practically tangible, and it was such a refreshing feeling compared to how it can feel walking around in day-to-day life. We were able to just be ourselves, and we were able to be with people who “get it.” We were able to celebrate the true recovery warriors that we are without fear of stigma. The event was overflowing with light, hope, and inspiration for my recovery.

My first NEDA Walk was an unforgettable experience, and I can’t wait until my next one. The sense of community that was created was remarkable, and it has greatly impacted me. Thank you NEDA for the important, valuable work you do in the fight against eating disorders, and thank you Project HEAL for believing me and giving me the opportunity to share our message and my message through both of our platforms.

If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, please contact the NEDA Helpline at 1-800-931-2237. If you are experiencing an eating disorder crisis, please text “NEDA” to 741-741.

Colleen Werner is a junior psychology major at SUNY Old Westbury, and she plans on going to graduate school to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who specializes in Eating Disorders. She also aspires to start an eating disorder treatment created specifically for dancers. Her Instagram account/blog, @leenahlovesherself, which centers around body-positivity, self-love, eating disorder awareness, and mental health has deeply inspired thousands, and after creating the hashtag #BopoBallerina, Colleen was featured by Yahoo, National Eating Disorders Association, Dailymotion, A Plus, Dance.com, and several international news outlets. In addition to her work on her Instagram, Colleen is a member of the Advisory Panel for YPAD (Youth Protection Advocates in Dance), a National Ambassador for Project HEAL, and a Brand Ambassador for Wear Your Label.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.