How To Clean Your Belly Button Ring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Knowing how to clean your piercing is the most important part of healing, and a lot goes into your belly button piercing. Learn the correct way to wash your piercing to avoid infection.

STEP 1

Wash your hands thoroughly with antibacterial liquid hand soap and hot water before touching your belly button ring. Don’t use any alcohol! It will dry out your skin like crazy!

STEP 2

Soak a towel in warm water, and gently clean any crusted discharge and dirt from the belly button ring.

STEP 3

Use sterile saline solution on a clean paper towel, and place it over the piercing and ring. Leave the solution on the area for about 10 minutes to sterilize it.

STEP 4

Pour warm water over a fresh paper towel, and wipe the belly button ring and piercing site to remove salty residue from the area.

STEP 5

Clean the navel ring and piecing site with soap.

STEP 6

Pat the jewelry and piercing site dry with a paper towel. Never use cloth towels on fresh piercings, as the material can harbor bacteria.

Rebecca Tirino

Old Westbury '20

Hello my name is Rebecca! I currently attend SUNY and Hofstra university.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.