5 Reasons To Talk About Eating Disorders In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, 20 million women will experience an eating disorder in their lifetime (https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-facts-eating-disorders). Since the new semester has started for college students nationwide, it’s crucial that we start talking about eating disorders now so that we can prevent them from forming, and we can help those who are suffering get help. Here are five reasons why the start of the new semester is a critical time for discussing eating disorders:

1. The new school year is a transition period which can trigger some people.

Change often leads to feeling out of control, which can trigger unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as eating disorder behaviors. This time can be overwhelming, and some people may need extra support to be able to work through the feelings that are coming up for them in a healthy way.

2. Discussions about the “Freshman 15” may come up, which can encourage unhealthy behaviors.

While it is important to encourage a balanced lifestyle, the statement “Freshman 15” in and of itself perpetuates diet culture. According to the National Eating Disorders Association, “35% of “normal dieters” progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 20-25% progress to partial or full-syndrome eating disorders” (https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-facts-eating-disorders). This shows how dangerous dieting is and how important it is that we don’t promote it. Weight is not an indicator of health, and it is completely normal for our weight to fluctuate over time. We need to stop using the phrase “Freshman 15” and instead encourage the idea that we are worth more than our bodies and that our weight does not define us or determine our health.

3. Students may be returning to school after going through treatment.

Many times, people suffering from eating disorders will go to residential treatment in the summer because of the convenience and so that they can continue going to school in the fall. As a result, they will need to adjust to life outside of their treatment center which can be quite daunting. Triggers will come up, and they will need time to get used to not having the same level of support and care that they had. By raising awareness about eating disorders and creating a supportive, destigmatized community, we can help keep eating disorder survivors on the path to recovery.

4. Eating disorders can greatly impact a student’s future and academic success.

Eating disorders make it impossible for a student to truly thrive and live. Eating disorders take away energy and focus, and all of the sufferer’s energy is channeled into the disorder. As a result, they can’t possibly fully engage in their coursework or achieve their academic goals.

5. Many people are unaware of what eating disorders really are, and as a result may not realize that they, or someone they know, have an eating disorder.

Eating disorders don’t have a particular look, size, weight, gender, race, or economic class. Also, there are more eating disorders than just Anorexia and Bulimia, such as Binge Eating Disorder, Orthorexia, and Otherwise Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders. While some eating disorder sufferers may lose or gain weight, some may maintain their weight. In addition, while some eating disorders are related to body image, some have no relation to body image and are just related to control or trauma. Most eating disorders have many contributing factors and aren’t only caused by one thing. All eating disorders are valid and deadly, and we need to learn the warning signs of ALL eating disorders so that they can be detected and treated as quickly as possible.

Discussing eating disorders at the start of the semester is imperative to maintaining a healthy environment both physically and mentally for college students. To learn more about eating disorders or to find help near you, please visit www.nationaleatingdisorders.org and www.theprojectheal.org.

Colleen Werner is a junior psychology major at SUNY Old Westbury, and she plans on going to graduate school to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who specializes in Eating Disorders. She also aspires to start an eating disorder treatment created specifically for dancers. Her Instagram account/blog, @leenahlovesherself, which centers around body-positivity, self-love, eating disorder awareness, and mental health has deeply inspired thousands, and after creating the hashtag #BopoBallerina, Colleen was featured by Yahoo, National Eating Disorders Association, Dailymotion, A Plus, Dance.com, and several international news outlets. In addition to her work on her Instagram, Colleen is a member of the Advisory Panel for YPAD (Youth Protection Advocates in Dance), a National Ambassador for Project HEAL, and a Brand Ambassador for Wear Your Label.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.