5 Natural Essentials that Will Save the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Organic eating is better than eating fast foods or processed foods. Avoiding chemicals in or on our bodies is the best solution for a healthy lifestyle. It’s not the best decision to buy random beauty products from TV commercials because they appear to work.  Instead, use the organic products you may have in your pantry. Here’s a list of items that I have used that worked for me, and hopefully works for you.  

1- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

You might know this as a secret ingredient for DIY dressings; but I know this as a product to pop pimples. Ever wake up to a random pimple that was not there the previous day? It can be frustrating but, the solution is ACV. Using your fingers is unsanitary and could make it worse! Apply some ACV on flat cotton or a clean cloth, and pop the pimple. The result is visible immediately as the pimple reduces. Within 24 hours, the pimple should be completely gone.

2- Coconut oil 

Coconut oil has many different uses. It works amazing as a body moisturizer, as it nourishes and softens dry skin. It can even replace your coffee creamer and revive dry hair!

3- Aloe Vera Juice

This juice is absolutely amazing for dry hair. Add the Aloe Vera juice to a spray bottle, mix it with some water and apply to your hair every day. It will serve as a leave-in conditioner as it leaves the hair soft and shiny.

4- Baking Soda

Many people use baking soda for eliminating refrigerator odors or baking. Baking soda is also a great teeth whitener! Instead of spending a fortune on teeth bleaching, mix some baking soda with coconut oil and the essential oil of your choice.

5- Honey

Honey is not only delicious; it can be used as a facial mask or a hair mask. Sometimes after a long week of school and work, we look very tired and our skin isn’t radiant. Evenly apply some honey to your face, and leave it in for 10-15 minutes. After rinsing it out with some warm water, your skin should glow. As for the hair mask, wash your hair out thoroughly, apply the honey to your hair, leave it in for several minutes, and finally rinse it out. This should leave your hair strong and shiny. 

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz