This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

*** DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the opinions in this piece do not reflect the official stance and views of Her Campus, Her Campus Oklahoma nor The University of Oklahoma.*** 

Photo by Beatriz Pérez Moya on Unsplash

President Boren called for action to hire another psychologist in response to the closing of the OU Counseling Psychology Clinic on May 10. The funding was allocated so Goddard could hire one more psychologist.

OU has one mental health professional per 3,991 students. This overwhelming number means longer wait times and inconsistent scheduling for appointments.

College is, frankly, one of the most stressful times in some people’s’ lives. Mental illness is very common among college students today. According to mental health research:

• One in four students have a diagnosable illness

• 40% do not seek help

• 80% feel overwhelmed by their responsibilities

• 50% have become so anxious that they struggled in school.

These statistics are alarming. Considering these numbers alone, the University of Oklahoma should not be closing a vital resource for students, especially in these times. Talking with a mental health professional can be a large difference for someone if they are struggling. This allotted time in counseling with a licensed, trained, mental health professional is crucial for anyone, regardless of diagnosis or financial status.

According to the American Counseling Association, “Counseling is a professional relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education and career goals.”

Counseling can help one to work through emotions from problems or stressors even if they aren’t life altering. Counseling can help someone to build themselves out, to find their purpose, to give someone a toolbox to help their emotions.

When OU is closing a vital resource, they’re putting more strain on the Goddard Counseling office, that has already experienced long wait times for students to get in for. Unless students call for a same day, emergency appointment, the average wait time for students was 9.6 days to see a mental health professional.  Other students have reported a wait time of three of four weeks.

For some, 9.6 days can be a long time if they’re struggling. If that wait time is up to three or four weeks, this can seem like a lifetime. What are students supposed to do in the meantime? How can they manage what they’re going through while waiting? Is one more psychologist going to make an impact?

OU students need to be supported. One more psychologist will not be enough. There needs to be a priority for additional hires to go into Goddard Health Services to support students’ mental health. There needs to be a priority in getting wait times reduced so students do not have to wait or go in search of other medical practices that would be able to see them and make sure their insurance is covered. OU has to recognize and prioritize students’ mental health by adding more than one psychologist to the hiring.  

Mental Health Resources for Yourself/Others

Goddard/University Health Clinic

405-325-2911

Norman Regional Hospital Behavioral Medicine

405-307-5555

OU Behavior Intervention Team (BIT)

405-325-7700

24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifetime

1-800-273-825

Crisis Text Line (trained crisis counselor receives the text and responds quickly.)

Text TWLOHA to 741-741

National Hopeline Network

1-800-784-2433

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger of harming themselves or someone else, please call 911.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!