This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

Now that spring is approaching fast, many of us may be feeling the pressure to eat healthier now, so we can feel good during the summer swimsuit season. Unfortunately, healthy eating can be a struggle for college students who don’t have the money or time to make quality snacks. Here are a few simple, and delicious, snacks that are sure to get you ready for the upcoming spring and summer seasons.

Turkey and Swiss Pinwheels

In order to make these delicious pinwheels you will need flour tortillas, 8 oz cream cheese, 1⁄4 cup of jellied cranberry sauce, turkey, swiss cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. This recipe is great because there are only a few ingredients and many you will most likely already have in your home!

First, mix together your cream cheese and cranberry sauce to great a delicious spread. Next, lay your tortilla out and apply the spread evenly before layering on the turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Once you have finished, you will simply roll the tortilla into a log shape, before cutting the log into slices, creating your pinwheels. If you’re feeling fancy you can even use a toothpick to assure that they stay together!

Paninis

Paninis are so delicious and quick and easy! Even if you don’t have a panini press you can simply cook your sandwich in a pan, like a grilled cheese! Paninis are so versatile, so the ingredients for this one are really up to you! My personal favorite is a chicken caprese panini!

In order to make this you need grilled chicken, tomato, pesto and mozzarella. To make your panini, you will begin by greasing the press or pan. Next, you assemble your sandwich. Once your sandwich has been assembled you will need to apply olive oil to the outside of the bread, then you will be able to press or grill your sandwich and voila!

Image via Pinterest

Kabobs

Another easy recipe with so many unique variations! I typically like to make sweet and savory variations.

For the sweet variation, I use pineapple, strawberries and blueberries and alternate them on a kabob stick. Simple as that!

For the savory alternative I prefer grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella. If you don’t have the time or energy to prepare chicken an easier alternative is a caprese kabob with just cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls and a basil leaf, drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette.

This is a great snack to help you avoid chips or cookies, and it is also mess free, so it’s great for eating on the go!

Bruschetta

For this recipe you will need ​6 diced tomatoes,1/4 cup diced red onion, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1⁄4 cup of chopped basil, 2 teaspoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

Simply combine all ingredients in a bowl and then spread it on a slice of toasted baguette and enjoy!

Image via Pinterest

Tarts

Last but not least: a healthy dessert option!! These are super easy and yummy! All you need is phyllo cups, pudding and the berry of your choosing. Phyllo cups are pre baked and found in the freezer section of your grocery store!

For this recipe, I like to use lemon or vanilla pudding. Simply scoop the pudding into the phyllo cups, before topping it off with any berry of your choosing! Bon appetit!

Melissa is currently a Junior at the University of Oklahoma where she is pursuing her degree in criminology. Aside from writing for HerCampus, Melissa is involved in greek-life as a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, the honor society of Alpha Lambda Delta, and her university's criminology club. A Jersey native, she enjoys spending her weekends in the city or at the beach with friends, as well as shopping and listening to music.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!