bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

I’m Making My Health a Priority and So Should You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Alex Van

I’ll admit it. Being healthy in college isn’t easy. Especially when Couch and Cane’s have tasty and cheap options. Especially when Old School is my favorite and Netflix is the only horizontal running I’d ever do. Being healthy and making healthy choices is hard for me. But I’m learning to make better healthy choices and so should you.

The kind of healthy living I’m talking about isn’t about throwing all the junk food in your pantry out or going to run a marathon every day. The reality is, that’s not going to happen. Creating healthy habits isn’t about the end results, it’s about the intentional practice of that habit.

Being healthy in mind, body, and soul is difficult. It’s a daunting task, I’ll admit it. But the steps I’ve taken this semester, I haven’t regretted.

Be intentional about yourself. Invest in yourself. Invest in your habits that can be lasting through your life. It’s easier than done. It’s easy to avoid taking care of yourself or putting it off. We’re busy people, especially in college. But don’t make that an excuse to not take care of yourself.

Here’s how you can make your health a priority:

1. Find an activity you like to do that keeps you active. Whether it’s yoga, running, Frisbee, or just walking with your roommate when she walks her dog, get moving. Exercise helps your body release endorphins. Endorphins can help with pain, creating positive feelings in your body, help you sleep better, reduce stress, boost your self esteem, and can even improve your sleep.

Photo by Irina Logra

2. Eat a little bit healthier. For me, I cut out mindless snacking throughout the day. I also eat when I’m hungry instead of when I’m bored.

Photo by The 5th

3. Check your portion sizes.

Photo by Lum3n

4. Cook more meals in instead of eating out all the time. Your wallet will thank you.

Photo by Miki

5. Go to the doctor when something isn’t right. Don’t put off a consistent cough, painful periods, or struggling with anxiety or depression. Doctors are there to help you and can help you advocate and manage your health.

Photo by Raw Pixel

6. Turn “have to” into “want to.” I have to exercise is an unfortunate statement. We don’t always like what we “have to” do, but think of being healthy and making smarter choices as an investment for your health.

Photo by Wokanda Pix

7. Celebrate your wins-whatever they are. Maybe you can lift more weights than you could at the beginning of the semester, you tried that new food, you aced a test, you’re celebrating something with a friend, or you created a habit. It doesn’t matter how big or small your win is. Celebrate your accomplishments and take pride in progress.

Photo by Raw Pixel

8. Reach out when you need the help. Whatever it is, someone can step in and help!

Photo by Dom Alberts

9. Don’t neglect sleep. Your body needs it, even if you think you need that extra episode of Netflix.

Photo by Pexels

10. Check in with yourself. Determine what you need. Do you need a mental health day? Do you need sleep? How are you really doing?

Photo by Jan Vasek

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!