This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Image via The Guardian 

For years, I’ve had the same physical issues cycling through my conversations with doctors. Usually they would give me the, “You’re fine. Everything looks great!” No matter what was going on, no matter what symptoms I was experiencing, I was given a clean bill of health and sent on my way. Once or twice, a doctor would say, “Hey, it’s not okay that you feel that way at all, much less consistently.” They would write a prescription for me to try, and when that didn’t work they would say, “Wow, I just really don’t know what else we can do.”

I got to the point that going to the doctor was just an annual waste of time to have them say, “Everything looks great!” and move on without dealing with anything. I stopped telling them anything was even going on. Why waste my breath?

A few months ago I asked friends for recommendations and was given the name of a doctor. I went and saw her, gave her my list of things I didn’t expect her to care about, and waited for her to tell me everything was fine. She didn’t. She actually was on my side and wanted to figure out what was causing the symptoms I felt. She wanted to know why I was feeling that way so that she could help me.

After lots of doctor visits, specialist appointments, and bloodwork there was no diagnosable cause for my symptoms. So she recommended a route that I never would have taken on my own.

Image via Balance

My doctor sent me to an herbalist. The man grows his own herbs, capsulizes them himself, and sells them for much less than prescription medications. She gave me the name of two of his medications that she wanted me to try and sent me on my merry way. I got them, somewhat skeptical, but at a breaking point that I was willing to do whatever.

IT WORKED!

I’m not far in with either medication, but I’ve already seen a shift in my symptoms. My body is responding well to them, and I haven’t seen any side effects. They are vegan, organic, and all-natural. If my doctor hadn’t sent me for specific medications, I never would have gone for it. I thought herbal remedies were less effective and more expensive than prescriptions that my insurance would cover. I was wrong.

Most people that I talk to about medical issues have something, if not many things, that they have always dealt with but never found a doctor that was willing to dig deeper and investigate for them. Maybe herbal medications are a thing of the future, not of the past. Challenge yourself. Push your boundaries and try something that scares you. Do your research, get wise recommendations, and look into an herbal remedy for that thing you’ve been struggling with forever!

Kalei Cypert

Oklahoma '18

Kalei Cypert is a senior studying Professional Writing at The University of Oklahoma. She got married the summer going into her junior year and is convinced that marriage is just a bunch of sleepovers in a row with endless cuddles. She’s an avid fan of Bob’s Burgers, Oxford commas, and reading instead of doing homework.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!