This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by 85Fifteen on Unsplash

1.     Do NOT pull an all-nighter

It is important to study for your finals and finish all your term papers, but in the long run sleep deprivation will be more harmful, for your grades and for your health. Pulling even one all-nighter can reduce your cognitive function for up to 4 days!

2.     Take breaks

It is super important to give your brain and your eyes a rest. I’ve found that studying for thirty-minute chunks with breaks in between has helped me focus more and retain information better.

3.     Get moving!

Be sure to get that blood flowing. If you have access to a gym, try bringing some study material to read while you’re on the treadmill or the elliptical!

4.     Snack on filling and healthy food

When you must spend all day studying and working on projects, preparing a healthy meal is the last thing on your mind. While PopTarts sure are tasty, snacks filled with protein and vitamins will help you stay energized and attentive throughout finals week.

Not sure what to snack on? Try:

• Pistachios
  • Apples and peanut butter
  • Cheese and crackers
  • Trail mix
  • Yogurt and granola
  • Turkey wrapped around string cheese
  • Mashed avocado on toast

5.     Treat yourself

Remember that going to college and making it this far into the semester is a huge accomplishment—so get yourself a little present! It doesn’t have to break the bank and could even be just giving yourself some time to do the things you enjoy now that the stress of class is off your shoulders. Once I finish all my finals and papers, I like to treat myself to my favorite food (usually a huge serving of Pad Thai) and a night in bed playing video games.

6.     Start early

We’re all guilty of this but waiting until the last minute to start studying for an exam or to start your final paper in a class is just asking for a breakdown in Dale Hall the last week of class. You’ll be much better prepared for whatever lies ahead if you start preparing a few weeks before finals.

Syd Stephenson

Oklahoma '20

Syd is an LGBTQ Studies junior at the University of Oklahoma. Currently, they are the senior editor for Her Campus, OU and a national blogger for Her Campus. After college, Sawyer hopes to work in journalism, the non-profit sector or as a lawyer. Previously, they were the assistant engagement managing editor and copy editor at the OU Daily. In their free time, they love to rock climb, exercise, read books about food, play with their cat Pizza, and put stickers on everything.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!