This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Kate Stone Matheson on Unsplash

Pets need constant attention…ahem, I mean love. When I got my cat, it was because his previous owner moved into the dorms. But if it wasn’t for the help from my roommates, I wouldn’t be able to take care of him in the way he deserves. I’m always at school, work, meetings for my clubs and sorority, and often come home late in the evening or even at night. This means I feed him twice a day and change his litter. That’s it. Animals are a serious investment while in college, of time and money. They don’t just disappear when you move somewhere that no pets are allowed.

It’s weird knowing this little guy will be in my life the next decade, maybe even two. The average dog’s lifetime is twelve years, and everyone knows an eighteen year old cat that’s still kicking it. I sometimes wonder if someone else picked him up from second chance what his life would’ve turn out to be.

Photo by Chris Abney on Unsplash

My cat freaks out if he’s left alone for more than thirty minutes, and the neighbors constantly complain about his meowing. He plays for hours if you pull out any cat toy, string, or even a hair tie. Sometimes in the middle of the night he decides its time to sprint at full speed from room to room, jumping on every surface and knocking things over. It’s adorable and frustrating.

If you feel like you’re up to the task, I highly recommend getting a furry companion. My late night study hours often involve my cat trying to help me type something out. Movie nights turn into cuddle sessions full of belly scratches. He’s always in whatever room of the house I’m in; his presence eminent because of the loud breathing ever since he started gaining weight. Even when I’m in the bathroom, little paw push toys under the door, and he waits for them to be kicked back. I also managed to teach him to play fetch, which is a pretty sick party trick when friends come over.

Sofie is an English writing major at the University of Oklahoma. She enjoys reading, writing, and pottery.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!