This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

*** DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the opinions in this piece do not reflect the official stance and views of Her Campus, Her Campus Oklahoma nor The University of Oklahoma.*** 

Photo by Parker Johnson on Unsplash

Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court via a 50-48 vote, this would not have been possible without Mitch McConnell pushing through legislation in April that changed the necessary votes from 60 to a simple majority. A majority of Americans did not want Kavanaugh confirmed to the highest court in the land, but our senators didn’t listen.

Nov. 6 is the midterm election day for the United States and it is time to make sweeping changes. We have representatives that do not vote in our best interests. They are supposed to answer to the will of the people (that’s you and me), not lobbyists, special interest groups, or even the president. Their paychecks are paid by our taxes, their job is contingent on our votes, they are supposed to govern on our behalf. However, they do not. For too long we have sat idly while our elected officials do whatever they want. If we do not use our voices and demand change we won’t get it.

Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, it’s time to get angry, get loud, and go vote.

If you’re not registered to vote the last day to register in Oklahoma is October 12, the last day to request an absentee ballot is October 31. More information about the deadlines can be found here.

If you are registered to vote, double check your registration status here. This is to ensure that you have not been purged from electoral rolls and that your registration is for the right address.

You can check your polling place in Oklahoma here. Make sure to have your voter ID card with you when you go to your polling place. If you need a replacement voter ID you can obtain one by going to your county election board office and requesting another one. You will need to explain you lost or misplaced yours and show photo ID to receive a new one.

In Oklahoma on November 6 we are able to vote for the new governor, lieutenant governor, several United States representatives, state senators and representatives, and many more local races. You can see what each county is able to vote on this election here.

This is a call to arms, we can make major change happen, not only in our state, but in our nation. Nothing changes if we don’t get to the polls in November. Nothing changes and the precedent of ignoring constituents remains if we don’t demand they hear us. Make sure you are registered, make sure your friends and family are registered. On November 6, remind anyone and everyone to get out and vote. None of this works if we don’t all do this together. You have a lot of power for one person, you can help be a catalyst of change. It all starts with a vote, one vote, your vote.

Maggie Inzinga

Oklahoma '19

Maggie is a a senior at the University of Oklahoma pursuing a degree in occupational therapy. When she’s not lounging in a velour tracksuit or live tweeting her life (@maggie_inzinga) you can find her questioning if life after graduation is really possible. Her favorite extracurricular activities include making things weird, listening to Dolly Parton albums on repeat, and attempting to recapture her emo phase one Spotify playlist at a time.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!